Introduction: Mult-Purpose Dry Battery
Here’s a task for you, think of a day of your life in the complete absence of batteries. How did it feel? Sort of impossible, Right, especially today when batteries have become such a common part of our day-to-day lives. We may not realize it but without batteries, going through a day can be pretty darn hard. Wondering ‘How?’ Well, from powering our mobile to running our cars, the role batteries play can’t be underestimated at any cost. As the population of India is increasing, the needs of people are also on the rise, and with this comes the high demand for batteries. Now, the question arises about the safety and quality standards of the batteries produced in the country. Here, the Bureau of Indian Standards, also known as BIS, comes into the picture. Working under the aegis of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, BIS is India’s national standard body, whose responsibility is to set quality and safety standards for the goods produced, including batteries in the country. The purpose of this article is to share every important thing there is to know about the BIS Certification for Multi-Purpose Dry Battery. So, make sure you read it till the end.
Table of Contents
- Introduction: Mult-Purpose Dry Battery
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
- BIS Certification For Multi-Purpose Dry Battery
- Benefits of BIS Certification for Multi-Purpose Dry Battery
- Tests to Get BIS Certification for Multi-Purpose Dry Battery
- Documents Required for BIS Certification for Multi-Purpose Dry Battery
- Process to Get BIS Certification for Multi-Purpose Dry Battery
--------------Blog Contact Form-------------
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
Established under the Bureau of Indian Standards Act of 1986, BIS plays a very significant role in India’s economy as it not only ensures reliable safety and quality of goods but also makes the country’s customers aware of the ISI and Hallmark certification marks, so that they can make better decisions while purchasing anything. Now, we often hear about Indian goods getting criticized in foreign lands because of their poor quality. But with the certification of BIS, which is also known as BIS Certification, this situation is also changing over time. Therefore, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that BIS is also helping Indian businesses export more, hence contributing to their growth.
BIS Certification For Multi-Purpose Dry Battery
What is a Multi-Purpose Dry Battery? Also known as a general-purpose dry cell battery, it is a type of battery that people take into use for a wide range of electronic products, which can include small portable gadgets such as flashlights, remote controls, and electronic toys to a bit larger devices including cameras, radios, etc. Designed to offer a sound and compatible source of electrical energy for a wide range of devices, Multi-Purpose Dry Battery comes in numerous sizes, including AA, AAA, C, D, and 9V. The reason they are known as “dry” batteries is they don’t have any free liquid electrolyte, unlike wet-cell batteries like lead-acid batteries, which are commonly used in the automobile industry. Instead, they use a paste electrolyte, which is contained within the battery's cell and separated from the electrodes by a porous membrane. This design makes them more portable and less susceptible to leaks and spills than wet-cell batteries and also makes them easier and safer to be disposed of under an effective waste management system.
In India, every manufacturer or importer of Multi-purpose Dry batteries must get BIS certification as per Indian Standard 8144:2018, which ensures the least damage to the environment and quality and safety standards for high performance and reliability.
Benefits of BIS Certification for Multi-Purpose Dry Battery
It is up to the manufacturers of the country to get BIS certification or not for their products. However, the Indian government has made it mandatory for certain types of products only intending to ensure the safety of general public health. At present, there are over 450 products for which manufacturers must follow Indian standards and obtain BIS Registration.
Under BIS certification, the manufacturers get the approval to use the ISI (Indian Standards Institution) mark on their products as quality assurance.
Let’s take a look at the benefits of BIS certification for Multipurpose Dry Battery:
- Quality Assurance
You'd be surprised to know that today’s customers are more than willing to pay an extra price for the products if they are given assurance of high quality and that’s what BIS certification does. It ensures the multi-purpose dry battery available in the market has been manufactured as per the regulations and tested to comply with Indian standards to ensure high quality, safety and efficiency.
- Legal Compliance
No one in his right mind would like to face legal consequences, especially when they can be quite severe. With BIS certification, a business entity, be it an importer or manufacturer, can ensure that its activities comply with the applicable regulations and norms and keep away legal troubles.This also helps them make sure that the multi-purpose dry batteries they have are meeting all the necessary compliance requirements.
- Competitive Advantage
There’s a saying “Quality prevails over everything” and this has become more true than ever as quality is now not just a differentiator, but a way to dominate the competitors and the market as well. BIS certification for multi-purpose dry battery can help you have an edge over competitors, especially in foreign lands, who don’t have any such certification as proof of quality assurance.
- Consumer Confidence
“Customers Buy What They See” you surely have heard it many times in your lives and this has always been true. By obtaining BIS certification, you can display an ISI mark on your multi-purpose dry battery and make customers have faith in your products. This seems to work well mainly because customers show an inclination towards those products that have been tested for quality check by a reputable organization like the Bureau of Indian Standards.
Tests to Get BIS Certification for Multi-Purpose Dry Battery
Under BIS regulations and norms, there are certain tests that every manufacturer has to take for their products, including multi-purpose dry batteries to ensure they meet the relevant Indian standards of quality and safety. Below, we have mentioned all the mandatory tests:
- Leak Testing
- Delayed Life Test Under Heat Conditions
- Initial Life Test
- Test for the dimensions of the Dry Battery
- Test for the terminals of the Dry Battery
Documents Required for BIS Certification for Multi-Purpose Dry Battery
- Identification and Address Proofs of the Applicant.
- Address proof of the manufacturing facility and the registered office.
- Rental or Lease agreement or proof of establishment of the manufacturing facility.
- SSI (Small Scale Industry) or Udyam Registration Certificate, if any.
- A flow chart covering all the operations from the processing of raw materials to the stage of the finished battery product.
- A list of the machinery equipment used in the facility.
- If outsourcing the manufacturing process, then the relevant details related to it.
- A layout map of the manufacturing facility.
- Details regarding the testing facility, along with the list of testing equipment and their certifications.
- Test reports from an authorized laboratory as per the applicable ISI standards.
- If the manufacturer is not an Indian, then information on the nomination of the Authorized India Representative, along with an undertaking with the nomination form and an affidavit.
Process to Get BIS Certification for Multi-Purpose Dry Battery
- Step 1: Nominate an AIR (Authorized India Representative) - An Indian manufacturer can nominate himself as the AIR, whereas, his foreign counterpart has to hire a local trader or importer. For the nomination of an Authorized Indian Representative, one needs to fill out FORM-IV.
- Step 2: Create an account on the BIS Portal - The second step for the manufacturer is to create an account on the portal of the Bureau of Indian Standards, which requires him to provide all the necessary documents required for BIS certification.
- Step 3: Submit the Multi-Purpose Dry Battery for Testing - Next step is to get the manufactured battery product tested by a BIS-approved laboratory as per the IS 8144:2018 standards. You can make a test request using the Manak Online Portal, also known as the eBIS portal. The test report must be in conformity with the BIS norms.
- Step 4: Fill out the application form for BIS certification - Once you get all the test reports, fill out the relevant application form on the BIS portal and deposit the fee. Make sure you choose IS 8144:2018 for the multi-purpose dry battery while entering details in the application form.
- Step 5: Evaluation of application and Inspection of the manufacturing facility - The submitted application will be forwarded to the BIS officials, who will review it, the given information, documents, and the authenticity of the test reports. They will also visit the manufacturing facility to inspect and conduct tests to ensure it complies with BIS norms. Make sure you keep all the documents available at that time as the officials may ask for them to check.
- Step 6: Issuance of Certificate - If satisfied with all the information and documents, the Bureau of Indian Standards will grant you a BIS certification for Multi-Purpose Dry Battery, which means you will also be able to put the ISI mark on your product.
It would be foolish to undermine the significance of BIS certification for Multi-Purpose Dry Battery as it serves so many purposes, including legal and regulatory compliance, the safety of consumers, high quality of products, and many more. BIS certificate not only helps businesses make their battery products at par with the prescribed Indian Standards but also gives assurance to the consumers about the reliability of these certified products. If you seek any help with BIS certification or registration, feel free to get in touch with Corpseed, India’s most trusted business legal and environmental consultancy service provider.
EPR Certificate, Waste Management, BIS Registration, ISI Registration, ESG Reporting, E-waste Plant Setup, Plastic Waste Plant Setup, Drug License, CDSCO Registration, EPR in E-waste Management, EPR in Battery Waste Management, EPR in Plastic Waste Management, EPR in Tyre Waste Management, Import and Export Code
This portion of the site is for informational purposes only. The content is not legal advice. The statements and opinions are the expression of author, not corpseed, and have not been evaluated by corpseed for accuracy, completeness, or changes in the law.
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.