The import-export businesses carry huge profits for the entrepreneurs but at the same time, they come with a massive list of compliances to be followed while undertaking any such business activity. If you are importing livestock animals, plants, medicine, food, apparel etc. you need to get import export permission from the applicable regulatory authorities. The government is continuously upgrading the existing procedural infrastructure and implementing new policies to facilitate the importers and exporters in getting the necessary import and export permissions from Animal Quarantine, Plant Quarantine, Drug Controller, FSSAI, and Textile Committee. Let’s understand the procedure for obtaining import and export permits for various types of consignments.
Table of Contents
- What is Import Export Permission?
- Who provides import-export permission?
- What are Animal Quarantine and Plant Quarantine?
- Benefits of Obtaining Animal Quarantine, Plant Quarantine and Other Import and Export Permissions
- How to Get Import Permission?
What is Import Export Permission?
The government has established various departments to regulate many different products and they provide the import and export permissions for the same. The regulation is important as it ensures the legal clearance of the goods imported including the livestock animals and plants. It keeps the imports in check and eliminates any unwelcome consignment if it does not comply with the rules and regulations established by the Government of India for the import. The Import Export permissions protect domestic industries, control the trade of sensitive goods, maintain national security, and comply with international agreements.
Who provides import-export permission?
Various departments are designated for providing the import and export permissions for different goods types. If you are willing to import the textiles and apparel, you need to get clearance from the Textile Committee. Similarly, if the imported goods contain any food items then FSSAI has the authority to reach out for import permissions. The Directorate of Plant Protection, Quarantine & Storage provides the licence for the import of Plants and the Animal Quarantine department provides the permission for the licence of livestock animals.
What are Animal Quarantine and Plant Quarantine?
The establishment of Quarantine Stations aims to prevent the entry of harmful diseases into a country through imported livestock and products. These diseases can have severe health and economic consequences. Quarantine Services help keep a country free from such diseases. With faster international travel, efficient Animal Quarantine Organization at airports, seaports, and land routes is necessary. Livestock and their products undergo testing and observation in quarantine before release. India established the Animal Quarantine & Certification Services (AQCS) scheme, setting up stations in key cities to ensure the health requirements of exported livestock and products align with international standards. The AQCS aids in preventing illegal trade and bio-terrorism, making it a valuable support for security agencies. For plant quarantine, there is the Directorate of Plant Protection, Quarantine & Storage which monitors the imports, tests the imported plant and provides quarantine facilities.
Benefits of Obtaining Animal Quarantine, Plant Quarantine and Other Import and Export Permissions
The license for obtaining animal quarantine, plant quarantine, and other permissions from respective authorities provides various benefits to the importer, exporter, and administration. Some of the major benefits are as follows-
- International trade can lead to increased sales and profits for businesses, as they can leverage opportunities in foreign markets that may have a higher demand for their products or services.
- Obtaining import-export permission allows businesses to access a wider range of international markets, enabling them to tap into new customer bases and diversify their revenue streams.
- Import-export permission can enable businesses to benefit from economies of scale by importing raw materials or goods at lower costs, which can lead to increased production efficiency and reduced operational expenses.
- Import-export permission allows businesses to import a diverse range of goods and services from other countries, enabling them to offer a wider variety of products to their customers.
- Businesses with import-export permission can gain a competitive edge by offering unique or specialized products that may not be readily available in the domestic market. This can help them differentiate themselves from competitors and attract a broader customer base.
Collaboration and Diversification
- International trade often fosters partnerships and collaborations with foreign companies, leading to knowledge sharing, technology transfer, and potential growth opportunities through joint ventures or strategic alliances.
- Engaging in import-export activities allows businesses to diversify their operations, reducing their reliance on a single market or product and spreading their risks across different regions and industries.
How to Get Import Permission?
In the process of getting permission and import licence from the animal quarantine department, plant quarantine department, FSSAI, Textile committee and other regulatory agencies of the government of India, you need to follow the prescribed procedure fulfilling the documentation requirements. The procedure involves the following steps-
Fulfillment of Pre-requisites
First, you need to prepare the pre-requisite documents for the import procedure which includes the issuance of the Import Export Code, RCMC Registration, and registration at the respective national boards for various products. If the goods you are importing come with any other specific compliance then the same shall be fulfilled.
You need to apply for the goods clearance through the Indian customs’ centralized portal and seek approval from the respective department. For example, you need to approach the Animal Quarantine and Certification Services to seek import permission for livestock. The approval procedure is made easy through the single window system developed by the CBIC (Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs).
Final Approval and Clearance
The application is then forwarded to the respective department. For example, the application relating to the food products shall be forwarded to the FSSAI via an automated system. It makes the process more efficient and swift. The officials of the concerned department will go through the application and details of the import and finally provide the ascent to the import. This way your imported goods will be cleared through customs with the help of an import licence provided by the concerned authorities.
In conclusion, understanding the nuances of import-export regulations and securing the necessary permissions are crucial steps for businesses venturing into international trade in India. Before importing or exporting goods such as livestock, plants, medicines, or apparel in India, securing the necessary import-export permissions from relevant regulatory bodies is essential. It is important to comply with the directives to ensure the lawful clearance of goods and maintain national security. The application process, though intricate, can be simplified by meeting the necessary prerequisites, understanding customs rules, and getting approval through the prescribed application. By complying with the requirements set by various regulatory authorities, businesses can not only ensure smooth operations but also tap into a world of opportunities, fostering growth and innovation in the global marketplace.
This portion of the site is for informational purposes only. The content is not legal advice. The statements and opinions are the expression of author, not corpseed, and have not been evaluated by corpseed for accuracy, completeness, or changes in the law.
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.