FSSAI Licence For Packaged Drinking Water | FSSAI License For Mineral Water
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.
FSSAI License is mandatory for all type of packaged drinking water companies. In recent years FSSAI Department is more concern about the safety of water available to human consumption; here we can explain about the FSSAI Compliance on water packaging business.
Different types of FSSAI license related to packaged drinking water
- FSSAI Basic License – only for the retailer, if FBO estimated turnover is less than Rs. 12 Lac per annum
- FSSAI State license – if FBO estimated turnover is more than Rs. 12 lacbut less than 20 Cr per annum.
- Central License – If FBO turnover is more than Rs. 20 Cr per annum or having Water factory in more than 2 states.
The FSSAI has laid down that the water for packaging can be derived from any of the sources like surface water, civic water supply, underground water, sea water, any other consistent source of water
Though, the manufacturers will need to pay attention to the following FSSAI policies and standards so as to confirm that water available is safe for drinking and does not cause any harm to human health. Following are the process steps every packaging water company must follow.
- The packaged water must undergo specific water treatments like decantation, filtration, a combination of filtration, aerations, filtration with membrane filter depth filter, cartridge filter, activated carbon filtration, demineralization, remineralization, reverse osmosis etc.
- The packagers must ensure that the packaged water is completely disinfected by means of chemical agents or physical methods so that the level of microorganisms is below the scientifically accepted limit for food safety or its suitability.
- In the case of Sea water, it will be desalinized before it is subject to the above treatments.
- Sealed bottles of various compositions, forms and sizes should be used which are safe as per authorities’ standards.
- Where the water undergoes a course of remineralization, the ingredients used in the water will need to obey food grade and pharma grade quality.
FSSAI Standards for packaged drinking water manufacturers
Every manufacturer of packaged Drinking water is obligatory to obey with the Microbiological standards for packaged drinking water: According to the standards a 250ml of packaged drinking water must be free from following microorganisms
- Escherichia coli (or thermotolerant bacteria)
- Coliform bacteria
- Faecal Streptococci, and Staphylococcus aureus
- Salmonella Typhi
- Sulphate Reducing Anaerobes
- Pseudomonas aeruginosin
- Yeast and mold
- Salmonella and Shigella
- Vibrio cholera, and V. para hemolytic us
Apart from Microbiological standards, the manufacturer must also achieve with the following parameters specified by FSSAI.
- Organoleptic and physical parameters
- General parameters concerning substances undesirable in excessive amounts
- Parameters concerning toxic substance
- Parameters concerning radioactive residues
- Parameters concerning pesticide residues
The FSSAI (licensing and registration of food business operators) Regulations, 2011 provides that, it is compulsory to provide a water analyst’s report with respect to the water to be used while applying for State / Central license.
FSSAI Packaging & Labelling Requirements for packaged water
According to Section 2 of (packaging and labeling) regulations, 2011, the water must be packed in a clean, hygienic, colorless, transparent and non-tampered bottles/container made withmaterial contains below standards:
Material to be used
ISI standard to have complied
Poly alkylene terephthalate (PET and PBT)
IS : 10910
All packaging materials of plastic origin are required to pass the prescribed overall migration and color migration limits and tests.Also, each package of drinking water is obligatory to carry the below-mentioned declarations in capital letters as described in Regulation 2.3.3 of FSSAI (Packaging & Labelling) Regulations, 2011:
- “Packaged Drinking Water”
- “Natural Mineral Water”
- “Best Before” (from the date of Manufacture)
- “Crush The Bottle After Use”
The Bottle / Container must mention the manufacturing date, the M.R.P, the marketing agency (if it is marketed by another party), FSSAI License no. of the manufacturer and the expiry date.
The standards have also specified Labelling prohibitions for Drinking Water for both Packaged and Mineral Water. Follow are some of them
- No claims regarding medicinal (alleviative, preventative, or curative) effects will be made in respect of the belongings of the product covered by the standard Claims of other beneficial effects related to the health of the consumer shall not be made.
- The name of the locality, hamlet or definite place may not form part of the trade name unless it refers to a packaged water collected at the place elected by that trade name.
- Use of any state or of any picture which may create misperception in the mind of the public or may mislead the public about the nature, origin, composition, and properties of such waters.