Introduction: Public Performance License (PPL license)
Under the Copyright Act 1957, a license referred to as the general public Performance License should be obtained to play pre-recorded music in public places, not value standing whether the institution is industrial or non-commercial in nature. The institutions embrace – hotels, bars, gyms, cafes, restaurants, looking malls, taxis and airplanes, and non-commercial places like concerts, school fields, festivals, fetes, etc. of these institutions area unit compelling to induce the license from the authority established by the Government of India that is Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL) India.
Table of Contents
--------------Blog Contact Form-------------
Under the Copyright Act 1957, the government has created it obligatory to induce a performance license, amusement license, and a PPL license to play the drums, music, and recorded audio-videos in public areas.
The PPL license allows permission for the enjoyment of pre-recorded music on tv, radio, and telecommunication firms to organizations. for enjoying background music or on occasion together with special events like concerts, floor, stage, and even for brand promotion activities, shows, etc. a separate license by the PPL possesses to be got by the final public, organization or individuals/person.
If there's the unauthorized enjoyment of pre-recorded music in public places while not a license, it amounts to a non-bailable and cognizable offense.
Who Wants A License
- Event’s Organiser
- Background Music in Restaurant
- Storage (DJ) in events
Procedure For Obtaining A PPL
The license could also be obtained by making an application together with the urged fees to the acceptable regional office of PPL. License for mobile, internet, radio, and tv may be applied at the Mumbai Head workplace. Head office & Central Licensing office situated in Mumbai
Purpose of PPL
The purpose of PPL is to issue a license to the proprietary sound recordings for radio broadcasts and customers. Thus, this license is needed for playacting the public of any song that wasn't written by the performing artist. This license is additionally needed for playing recorded music in public places like restaurants, clubs, concerts on the radio, or streaming online. The license is needed no matter the portion of the song being employed.
While a PPL license is needed only for events/public places wherever recorded music is complete, the license issued by the Indian Playacting Right Society restricted covers copyright license for all Musical and formal works.
The Indian Performing Right Society Limited
The Indian Performing Right Society (IPRS) could be a symbolic body of artists that has music house owners, lyricists, composers, and publishers of music. The work of IPRS is to assemble a royalty on behalf of its members that's the authors, composers, and publishers of music from the users of music, and apportion it among the members when taking away the administrative costs.
The IPRS was formed on the 23rd of August 1969. It's a non-profit creating organization and an organization restricted by guarantee registered under the Businesses Act 1956 which is currently Act of 2013.
The IPRS is additionally registered under Section 33 of the Copyright Act, 1957, to grant the license for the usage of music and formal work. The registration of IPRS under the Copyright Act is necessary to represent the rightful possession of copyright. IPRS performs the business of issue of licenses as per section 30 of the Copyright Act because it is that the owner of copyrights through the assignment deeds dead with its members, United Nations agency area unit the house owners and have assigned the rights to the society. The license under IPRS has numerous tariffs that are based on the property and also the usage of the musical work. The tariff-based mostly on-premises is charged on the basis of the premises like restaurants, malls, cafes, and pubs. These tariff area units supported the desired criteria.
General Terms And Conditions Of The License Under LPRS
- All users pay the license fees as per the costs. It applies to measuring and/or recording music. The license fees should be paid before that is paid annually, and within the specified time within the charges, that is, at intervals of one month or as per the time mentioned within the agreement. There will be an 18% penalty and 18% interest if the annual license fee isn't paid at intervals within the stipulated time.
- The tariffs will be increased by 10% on each anniversary of the tariff. All the majesty is exclusive of all applicable taxes and GST and area units charged before for an amount of twelve months and should be paid at the beginning of the amount.
- All licenses that are granted shall be dead on or behalf of the IPRS and shall be subject to the terms and conditions mentioned within the agreement and shall be deemed to be accepted by the licensee.
- In the case of Non- Compliant licenses that seek to create sensible past lapses, that is, regularise past infringements/ violations/ breach of Society’s rights and licenses together with non-compliance with agreements, usage while not a license, the penalty is 30% over and on top of the present tariff and is levied at the discretion of the Society. Whereas, criticism licenses are going to be charged at a discounted rate of 5% at the discretion of the Society.
- The area for licensing of premises isn't dependent on the audibility of the music being played, which suggests that if the music is being played in one section of the premises and audible to other sections as well, then the entire area will be considered for the calculation of the fees payable.
- Light and heavy vehicles can have a constant that means as defined by the RTO Authorities. Floor Area/ Carpet Area/ sq. The feet of the premises mean that wall-to-wall space.
- For open shows or concerts, the bottom setup should be submitted to avail 40% of the theme, and therefore the application for the allow should be created 8 days before the date of performance.
- Two passes to the event should be provided for review when applying for the license.
- The licenses issued by the IPRS are for the ‘Performing Rights’ of the Musical Works and/or the literary works related to it. The word ‘Performing rights’ means and includes the right of playacting, communication to the general public, broadcasting, and transmission to subscribers to a diffusion service within the territory of musical and/or associated literary works. The terms are inclusive of the usage of the music and therefore the associated written material in any type and through any methodology.
Need For PPL License
Licenses are needed whenever an individual performs publicly a song he failed to write, or plays recorded music publicly, like at a club, restaurant, concert, on the radio, or streaming online.
A public performance license is needed regardless of how small a portion of the song is used. There are some exceptions wherever a public performance license isn't needed, like once the person plays songs that he wrote himself or songs that are within the property right.
Cost For Public Performance License
- Tariff Description: Restaurants, bars, lunch homes, low outlets, eating rooms, lounges, cafes, workplace canteens, eating homes and every premise of comparable nature
- Scope of Tariff: This Tariff Applies to the general public Performance of Music at the edifice.
General Conditions: This Tariff is subject to the society’s General Conditions Applicable to Tariffs and Licenses
Change Over Consulting Compliance
Any finance business in India do generally subject to majority stake changeover or management shuffle, requires prior approval of Reserve Bank of India. Sign up now for one or more of the services and be rid of all your compliance concerns.
A business plan is an engraved sketch of your business's prospect, a document that describes the step to step process on what a business owner plan to do and how to execute the plan.
A bar license allows you to sell alcohol for consumption on the licensed premises, but it does not allow gaming or take-away liquor. This liquor license allows a maximum of 100 customers, over the age of 18, on the premises during trading hours.
This portion of the site is for informational purposes only. The content is not legal advice. The statements and opinions are the expression of author, not corpseed, and have not been evaluated by corpseed for accuracy, completeness, or changes in the law.
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.