PET Bottles: Uses, Recycling, Business and Plant Setup
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.
PET stands for Polyethylene terephthalate which is a type of plastic. PET has found its niche as the most favorable packaging material for water and soft drinks that too worldwide. PET is a versatile material owing to it being unbreakable and low in weight and has many applications such as in sportswear, engineering resins, sheets and films etc. PET has left behind the use of glass and metal cans.
- Problem surrounding PET
PET is denoted as being harmful because it accounts for large volumetric fractions found in waste streams and displays high resistance to biological agents. It becomes highly difficult to remove PET as waste due to its poor biodegradability.
- PET Recycling
PET recycling is the method of plastic reprocessing that has already been used before and provides it with a new recycled shape. PET bottles that have been discarded are collected, sorted, cleaned, shredded, and converted into "washed flakes," which are then used to make a range of items.
- Uses of recycled PET
Recycled PET finds application in many areas of use as follows:
- Soft drinks bottles
- clear film for packing,
- carpet fibers
- fleecy jackets
- bottles for detergents and soaps
PET Bottle business
Why start it?
- Initializing a pet bottle recycling business can be a very innovative and profitable business that is also regarded as an environmentally friendly business by individuals, corporations, non-governmental organizations, and the government, particularly because it assures that manufacturing and processing companies consume less natural resources. One would be required to know where to get the supplies for recycling and where to sell the finished recycled bottles if one wishes to commence a pet bottle recycling company.
- When it relates to industrial packaging of different sorts, a pet bottle is a very important and appropriate item. Not just in the beverage and food industries, but also in the pharmaceutical, chemical, FMCG, biochemical and several other industries, PET bottles are needed. Another important and practical aspect that makes pet bottles so useful is their light weight. This implies that one has to bear reduced shipping rates and pay much less for shipping goods. Pet bottles are leak-proof, have a very versatile nature and are a very desirable choice for packaging companies.
- Glass bottles are extensively replaced by PET bottles in today's market because glass bottles and their use involve a high rate of damage and risk of breakage. This implies that all packaging needs are being fulfilled through PET production which is generating tremendous opportunities for businesses.
- PET Bottle House: The concept of making a house out of pet bottles was proven successful in Tonopha, Nevada, where William F. Peck built the first bottle house in 1902. Converting the plastic bottles into bricks, positioning them on their sides in the desired places, tying the bottles together along with string, and adding the plaster are all part of the construction process.
Read Our Blog: 6 Home: based Business Ideas for Pet Lovers
Prerequisites for setting up PET manufacturing business
Prior to initializing a business set up certain prerequisites in the form of documents must be kept in mind which are as follows:
- Registration certificate of Business along with a ROC
- Registration certificate: Udyam MSME
- Trade license
- Acquiring of NOC from state pollution control board
- License pertaining to factory
- GST Registration
PET bottle manufacturing: Registration and licenses
The following documents must be acquired to be able to start PET manufacturing business:
- Registration of Business with ROC
- Udyog Aadhaar MSME Registration
- Trade License
- NOC acquired from Pollution Control Board
- License pertaining to factory
- GST Registration
PET bottles crushing plant setup
The following things must be kept in mind before establishing PET bottle crushing plant setup
- Cost: Minimum of Rs 5 to 10 lakh is required on an initial basis for setting up a factory and to set up Pet bottle crushing plant setup it will cost minimum of Rs 25 Lakh.
- Funds arrangement: In order to start up a manufacturing business, there is a requirement to arrange funds in form of working and fixed capital
- Raw materials: Blow molding grade PET forms the major raw material.
- Machinery setup and raw materials:
- Choose a location that is ideally suited for the business setup since it would affect the profit margin
- Need for crafting a whole floor plan
- Need of raw material in the form of Polyethylene Terephthalate.
The following list can be chalked out for machinery requirement:
- Fully Automatic blow Moulding machine
- Fully Automatic injection molding machine
- Compressor 3 HP capacity
- Cooler Tower
- Lathe Machine 8’
- Shaper 26”
- Mould & Dies
- Generator Set 50 KWH.
- Electrification and erection
The following may be added expenses:
- Postage and Stationery
- Advertisement and Publicity
- Transport charges
- Consumable stores
- Repairs and Maintenance
- Miscellaneous Expenditure
- Process: The process initializes by drying up of PET granules in the dehumidifier. Thereafter requirement of colorant to be mixed with the PET granules. Further there is a need to introduce the material in the injection molding hopper. To elaborate further there are two basic stages involved in manufacturing PET bottles which are:
- Pre-form manufacturing
- Bottle Stretch Blow Molding
- Capacity of production: Since each bottle must go through both the injection molding and blow molding processes, the unit's total production capacity will be dictated by the process bottleneck. This indicates that the unit's total capacity would be determined by the lower of the two operations' capacities.
- Analysis: In order to expand the business there has to be SWOT analysis to be done.
- During the manufacturing process, the following end product properties must be ensured:
- The container's wall thickness should be uniform.
- The weight of the various articles produced in a production run should be consistent.
- Consistent color use in the article
- Dimensional accuracy to be specified
There are numerous advantages when it comes to PET bottles reason being they are light in weight and has great shelf life. Pet bottle crushing plant setup can be started provided that the ideal location and proper machinery is chosen.