Live animals are exhibited and traded like commodities in pet and pet product shops. These Rules are intended to ensure their humane handling, and to regulate this trade. Since the mute cannot complain, the responsibility to ensure compassionate and empathetic handling is greater. Since pet shops are commercial establishments, they have to be regulated with licenses, and parameters of operational standards. The Pet Shop Rules have been formulated by virtue of the power conferred by Section 38 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960. New Pet Shop Rules may also be called as The Prevention of cruelty to animals Rules, 2018.
Guide on How to Start Pet Shop Business in India
Following documents are required to obtain Pet Shop License:
- Application form
- Residential proof
- Identity proof
- Premises ownership proof
- Registration of shop
- Rental agreement in case of tenant
- Site and Key plan
- Indemnity bond
- Water bill paid receipt
- Electricity bill copy
- Passport size photo (latest)
- Aadhaar Card
- Structure stability certificate
- Details of accommodation/infrastructure available at proposed pet shop premises
- Details of working hours and rest day
- Ventilation arrangement
- Lighting arrangement
- Cooling or heating arrangement and how comfortable the temperature will be maintained
- Arrangements for food storage
- Arrangement for disposal of animals that die
- Arrangement for the provision of medical and veterinary attention
- Details of pet animals proposed to be displayed or house in the Pet Shop for sale (types of animals, number of animals, accommodation/number and size of cages)
- Details of cheque /demand draft number for payment of fee
Procedure to apply (offline):
- Applicant shall approach their area Veterinary Wing of respective municipality or the animal welfare board meant for their respective area to register pet shop.
- Every applicant for grant of a pet shop license or renewal thereof shall submit an application to the local authority in the given format, with a copy to Animal Welfare Board of India, providing all required information in the form and manner required. The format for application for grant of pet shop license is set out at Schedule I appended to and forming a part of these Rules.
- Link for contact details: Please select option under the respective municipality and find the contact details by using the applicable option.
- Go to the respective office.
- Meet the respective authority at the office. Applicant shall get the advice from the authority to be followed in order to register.
- Collect the applicable application form or write on a plain A4 paper as per advice.
- Submit the completed application form, fees along with required documents as per our page.
- Authorities will check the submitted application form and other documents. If all are in place, the application will be accepted.
- A receipt of acknowledgment will be provided for the acceptance of application. Keep it safe for future reference.
This application will be processed further.
On a scheduled date, a team comprising Animal Welfare Board, administrative department, and veterinary practitioner will inspect the place/shop and submit a report.
Once all the above-mentioned steps are complete and the submitted report is satisfactory. The sanctioning authority from the board may register the pet shop.
Applicant gets notification from the department. Please follow the notification to get the certificate.
- Grant of license: If local body and representative of the board orders that the facilities of the applicant are satisfactory then they provide a license for 2-year period with the fee of Rs.5000/- (Five thousand only) to the local authority. The reporter of the inspector, signed by him shall be attached to the application of license and the local authority, and a true copy thereof sent to the Animal Welfare Board of India.
- Rejection of application: If the local authority or the representative of the Board is not satisfied with the facilities of the applicant, the application for grant of license shall be rejected by the local authority with the reasons for the same set out in writing. The applicant shall however have the right to appeal within 30 days of receipt of the letter of rejection, to the Commissioner of the local authority. If the applicant wishes to be heard, he may also seek personal hearing from the authority, i.e. the Commissioner of the local authority. Pet shop owner or applicant: Is a person who owns or has control over any pet shop. Schedule: means scheduled annexed to these rules.
Validity of license:
The License is granted for a period of 2 years.
- Rs.5000 (Five thousand only) valid for 2 years.
- Renewal fee Rs.5000 /-. The application for the renewal of license should be at least 30 days prior to expiry of registration
Connect With Corpseed
Once you discuss the requirement, we will align a dedicated Account managers to understand your business needs and provide solutions and assist entire process.
Real Time Update
Use our platform to track progress of application and many more. Always know what is going on with your project, what is in progress, and what is done.
Once job is completed, you will receive complete registrations & certifications directly to your email ID and at your doorstep