On March 1, 2002, the Government of India established the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) under the requirements of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001. The Bureau of Energy Efficiency's mission is to assist in the development of policies and initiatives with a focus on self-regulation and market principles, all within the framework of the Energy Conservation Act of 2001, with the primary goal of reducing the Indian economy's energy intensity.
Table of Contents
- Role of BEE Registration
- Documents Required for BEE Registration
- BEE Registration Process
Role of BEE Registration
In performing the tasks given to it under the Energy Conservation Act, BEE coordinates with designated customers, designated agencies, and other organizations, recognizing, identifying, and utilizing existing resources and infrastructure. The Energy Conservation Act regulates and promotes energy conservation.
BEE Registration is a rating system for household electrical appliances and equipment that ranges from one to five stars in terms of power consumption. A product with a higher star rating saves more energy. The purpose of the BEE Registration is to offer consumers information about the product's power usage pattern.
For some items, BEE registration is required, while for others, it can be done freely. Many product categories, such as frost-free freezers, color TVs, all types of ACs, distribution transformers, tube fluorescent lamps, LED lamps, electric geysers, and direct cool refrigerators, fall under the required list. Washing machines, microwave ovens, ceiling fans, laptops, scanners, solar water heaters, and many other items are eligible for BEE Star Labeling.
BEE Registration is required for all manufacturers of the products mentioned in the obligatory scheme. If the manufacturing unit is located within India, the factory will apply directly; however, if the manufacturing unit is located outside India, i.e. for a foreign manufacturer with no office in India, the first importer or any business organization designated as an Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) will be required to apply for BEE Registration on behalf of the manufacturer, according to BEE India guidelines. BEE Registration is not available to dealers, distributors, wholesalers, or retailers.
BEE's Main Promotional Functions Include:
- Raise awareness of energy efficiency and conservation and share information about it.
- Arrange and coordinate training for workers and specialists in energy efficiency and conservation strategies.
- Enhance consulting services in the area of energy conservation.
- Encourage innovation and research.
- Develop methods for testing and certification, as well as promote testing facilities.
- Formulate and assist in the execution of pilot and demonstration projects.
- Encourage the use of energy-saving methods, devices, and systems.
- Encourage the usage of energy-efficient equipment or appliances by taking steps to encourage preferential treatment.
- Encourage the use of creative finance for energy efficiency projects.
- Provide financial support to organizations that promote energy efficiency and conservation.
- Prepare an educational curriculum on energy saving and efficient use.
- Implement an international cooperation program in the areas of energy efficiency and conservation.
Documents Required for BEE Registration
Documents/Information Required by the Testing Lab
- Sample(s), as well as a user manual
- Copy of Factory License stating the relevant product as the scope of manufacturing and indicating the manufacturing unit's address - in English and in the original language
- A copy of the BIS license with the date of expiration and a list of all models used
Required Documents by BEE for Brand/Company Registration
- Cover letter.
- Photocopy of online security deposit payment receipt.
- Print out of online Brand registration application.
- Copy of Brand / Trademark Certificate.
- If the manufacturing unit is not the trademark/brand owner, an authority letter from the trademark/brand owner is required.
- MSME certificate copy (for Indian OEM only).
- Copy of a current ISO 9001 certificate issued in the name and address of the manufacturing facility listed on the Manufacturer's registration form (in case of multiple manufacturing facilities, ISO of all the manufacturing facilities must be enclosed).
- Authorized signatory letter.
- A copy of the BIS license with the date of expiration and a list of all models used.
Document/Technical Details Required by BEE for Model Registration
- Cover letter
- Copy of online model registration payment receipt
- Print out a copy of the online application form. Other forms
- Original test report
- Specimen of BEE label
BEE Registration Process
Unlike typical certificates, the BEE registration process, often known as BEE certification or acquiring an energy star rating, includes two levels:
- The BEE certification level of a brand is called brand level certification or BEE brand registration. It's a big registration that covers a lot of ground.
- Model Level Registration, also known as BEE Model Registration, is the process of obtaining BEE certification for all items that fall under a BEE registered brand.
Only once you have successfully completed the certification process for both BEE status levels will you be granted complete registration.
In terms of the procedure, BEE certification in India follows the three standard procedures.
- The appliance is put through its paces to see how much energy it uses.
- Obtaining BEE certification by submitting an application. There is currently an online mechanism for registering BEE certificates, which also makes the application filing process online.
- Filling out the BEE certificate online application and submitting the application or BEE certificate form to the Bureau of Energy Efficiency. Keep in mind that you'll be issued a Bureau of Energy Efficiency Login during this phase. Once you've received your login, you may start filling out the application and paying for the bee certificate. The admission fee for a BEE certificate is the same for all models, but the model BEE certification fee is levied per model.
- Also submitting the offline docs;' A paper copy of the BEE certificate form - a correctly filled BEE registration form PDF – must be given to the BEE rating agency in addition to the online BEE certificate application. In addition to the application, the documents must be submitted as well. The address to send it to differs by state. As you fill out the application, the consultants will assist you.
- Getting the application approved and the certification in a timely manner. The department will perform a comprehensive BEE verification process while processing to ensure that your documents are valid.
You won't acquire the 3-star BEE rating or the 5-star BEE rating right away if you have a BEE star rating. BEE runs a series of tests to determine if your products meet the company's specific standards before awarding you a star rating.
You'll also have to keep track of the application's progress throughout the BEE certification process in India. If there are any problems with your application, you will be notified as soon as possible. Following that, it will be up to you to do a follow-up and correct any errors, after which you will have completed BEE certificate registration.
Team Corpseed will help your organization to draft and file application to BIS for grant of registration/certification. BIS has been providing safe reliable quality goods, minimizing health hazards to consumers.
The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) was established by the Government of India pursuant to the provisions of the Energy Conservation Act 2001 on 1 March 2002.
Bureau of Indian Standards is involved in different activities like standards formulation, certification of products, system certifications, hallmarking, laboratory services, registration scheme and more
This portion of the site is for informational purposes only. The content is not legal advice. The statements and opinions are the expression of author, not corpseed, and have not been evaluated by corpseed for accuracy, completeness, or changes in the law.
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.