Introduction: BIS Certificate For Toys
Toys are the best friend of the kids. Childhood is empty without toys in it. They are the most important not only because kids indulge themselves playing with it, but also they make the personality of kids. Kids being at a tender age indulge themselves playing with the toys and unknowingly develop their personality by way of it. Every parent love their kids unconditionally, would do anything to make their kid happy and kid’s fancy toys more than anything in the world. Every parent would love to buy the world for their kids and they do whatever they possibly can. Kids doesn’t understand poverty or riches, they fancy the toys anyhow and parents go beyond their status to make them happy. Buying toys for their kids is one such thing. These toys must not be harmful or injurious to the kids, it is one of the concerns of the parents. Parents have to look around to find the toys that are safe and not harmful or injurious to the kids. Also the toy industry is expending day by day and is considered to become the toy hub in upcoming years. Government had stepped forward in this regard and has made BIS certificate in india mandatory for the companies engaged in production of toys for the children below 14 years of age.
Table of Contents
--------------Blog Contact Form-------------
Bureau of Indian Standards regulates BIS Certification in India empowered through Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 1986. BIS certificate provides third-party guarantee for quality, reliability and safety of products. In general, BIS certificate is voluntary but for some products, BIS Certification is mandatory giving the concern about public health. This certification would allow the licensee to use the ISI Mark.
DPIIT, Ministry of Commerce and Industry issued Toys (Quality Control) Order, 2020 which made BIS certification compulsory with effect from 01/09/2020 which were later extended to start from 01st January 0f 2021. In furtherance of this order, BIS initiated the process to grant license to manufacturers of toys to use BIS standard mark according to the scheme I and scheme II of the BIS (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018. For BIS certification for toys, toys are classified in two categories: Non-Electric toys (meaning ordinary toys such as dolls, puzzles etc., which do not have depend on electricity) and Electric toys (meaning toys which have at least one function dependent on electricity). Manufacturers are free to choose any applicable primary standards as per the type of toy for which license is required. In case the license is required for more than just one toy, each type will require separate applications.
Where to Apply
Domestic manufacturers can apply for BIS license for toys on the portal manakonline and foreign manufacturers can file the application at Bis. Applications then shall be submitted to FMCD (Foreign Manufacturers Certification Department). In furtherance of applying for BIS license, manufacturer would need to follow the procedure.
- Step 1: Create login on manakonline
- Step 2: Choose any Indian standard: select any one Indian standard between option 1 and option 2. That is, IS 9873 (Part 1):2019 for non-electric toys (with no electric function), OR IS 15644:2006 for electric toys (with at least one electric function).
- Step 3: Provide or upload information and details of raw materials, locations of factory, plan layout, testing personnel, machinery used and process of manufacturing etc. as asked for in the application form and if someone choose option 2, conforming test report(s) issued by BIS recognized laboratory shall be uploaded.
Read our Blog: Terms and conditions for BIS recognized labs
- Step 4: It involves providing details of test facilities. Like uploading list of test equipment’s which indicates testing facilities available in the factory according to the Indian standards. The available test equipment’s in the factory shall include the requisite equipment’s for applicable tests for which subcontracting is not permitted the scheme of inspection and testing (SIT) given in product manual. That is, applicable tests as per IS 9873 (part 1):2019 for both non-electric and for electric toys: following 3 requirements of IS 15644:2006 - Power Input of transformer & dual-supply toys (Clause 8), Heating and abnormal operation (Clause 9), and Electric Strength at operating temperature (Clause 10).
- Step 5: Is providing product details and submission of minimum marking fees i.e. 50%. That is, uploading details of the product as per Appendix-II of the product manual of toys and photographs of toys list of materials used for manufacturing of toys.
- Step 6: After the registration of the application, an application number will be provided with the application number. Using that, check the communication window from time to time and immediately respond and address to the queries if raised by BIS.
- Step 7: Confirmation of date for factory inspection for the proposed date by BIS. Confirmation shall be done within 10 days of submission of application. Consequences of failures will be that the application will be rejected or closed and the applicant will have to apply for fresh application when the applicant is ready for inspection after paying only the application fee
- Step 8: At the time of factory inspection; make sure that all the varieties of toys are available for which the inspection and sampling by BIS based on grouping guidelines are required, relevant process of production is demonstrated and availability of personnel for production/quality control personnel, factory testing of samples by QC personnel in the presence of BIS officer and generation of test report.
- Step 9: Reply to queries in discrepancy cum advisory report within the deadline given by the officer. Discrepancy cum advisory report contains discrepancy, if any, found by the BIS officer during inspection. On the other hand, if BIS officer is satisfied, he would seal the counter-samples and samples as per the sampling/grouping guidelines. In case, BIS officer instructs the applicant to dispatch the samples along with test request to designated labs, applicant shall do it immediately, within 24 hours, and produce the proof of delivery to BIS.
- Step 10: After all this process, after receiving passing test reports and if no action is pending from the inspection visit, application will be processed for grant of license. Once BIS has decided to grant the license, it will ask for the requisite payment s per Annexure-I of the fee schedule. Then, the license will be generated and will be communicated.
Read our Service: How to Get BIS Certification Import for Toys
Requisite Information regarding BIS license
Here are the Indian Standard for safety of toys:
- Safety of Toys Part 1 Safety Aspects Related to Mechanical and Physical Properties - IS 9873 (Part 1):2019
- Safety of Toys Part 2 Flammability - IS 9873 (Part 2) : 2017
- Safety of Toys Part 3 Migration of Certain Elements - IS 9873 (Part 3) : 2017
- Safety of Toys Part 4 Swings, Slides and Similar Activity Toys for Indoor and Outdoor Family Domestic Use - IS 9873 (Part 4) : 2017
- Safety of Toys Part 7 Requirements and Test Methods for Finger Paints - IS 9873 (Part 7) : 2017
- Safety of Toys Part 9 Certain Phthalates Esters in Toys and Children’s Products - IS 9873 (Part 9) :2017
- Safety of Electric Toys - IS 15644:2006
Indian standards may be downloaded from the official website of BIS except of those Indian Standards which are adopted from ISO standards.
Fees schedule provided is as follows:
- Application Fee: Rs. 1000/-
- Annual License Fee: Rs. 1000/-
- Renewal application fee: Rs. 1000/-
- Marking fee payable every year: as below, in rupees
Minimum Marking fee LS
Minimum Marking Fee SME
Minimum Marking Fee Micro
Unit Rate LS
4.50/- per unit
80/- per unit
Unit Rate SME
2.25/- per unit
40/- per unit
Unit Rate Micro
1.00/- per unit
20/- per unit
This shall be noted that 50% of the marking fee is payable in advance.
This portion of the site is for informational purposes only. The content is not legal advice. The statements and opinions are the expression of author, not corpseed, and have not been evaluated by corpseed for accuracy, completeness, or changes in the law.
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.