FSSAI Guidelines for Food Safety Standards in India
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.
FSSAI, Rules, Registration process, Violation, Guidelines, Act coverage, Penalty, Appeal
The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 is the final law for the regulation of the food products preparation and implementation of the food safety standards in the country. (FSSAI) Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is theuppermost food regulatory body in India. FSSAI falls under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. Keeping the food safety guidelines is important for the country as it is necessary to ensure safe and healthy food to the consumers.
Some of the key responsibilities of the FSSAI are:
• Lay down science-bases standards and rules for safety of food products.
• To control the storage. manufacturing, distribution, sales and import of the food products.
• To enable food safety.
• To stop food adulteration.
• To lay procedures and rules for laboratories food testing.
• To encourage awareness about food safety in India.
• To provide scientific guidance and technical assistance to the state and central government in the matter of framing rules and policies that are associated to food safety and nutrition.
Current time is where consumers are much aware of the quality of the food, before purchasing food product, consumers make sure that they are buying food free from adulteration, contamination, and prepared to keep the hygienic standards in focus. Consumers have become alert of food safety and choose to eat and purchasing food that is FSSAI licensed and approved. These circumstances make every Food Business Operator to register with FSSAI and get the required license to commence business and get consumers trust.
The Food Business Operators (FBOs) must register with FSSAI in accordance with the registration guidelines laid. Food Licenses/Registration is themandatory step for starting business related to any segment food product. Be it packaging, processing, storage, manufacturing, distribution, transportation etc..
Online Registration and License
As per FSSAI new procedure, any FBO can apply online to get registration certificate or License. The procedure of sending application by post or personally visiting the center to get license has been replaced by online automated process. FSSAI offersancollaborative online platform for the Food Business Operators where the FBO can apply and get the License/Registration online. The procedure is, sign up by providing contact details, apply for the registration and license by filling the mandatory information. If the Food Business Operator (FBO)satisfies all the required rules and details, they are provided with the registration certificate or License by the authority. After issuing theregistration certificate or License, registering authority also carries out a food safety inspection of the registered establishment at least once in a year to ensure that the FBO is fulfillingall the FSSAI rules and regulations.
Food Business Operator can also apply for the modification, renewal of license, and also request the authority for a duplicate one. Validity of FSSAI License is for a period of one to five year and needs to be renewed before its expiration date. FBO can track the application status online.
FBO need to follow below without any failure
- Must maintain the general food safety standards
- Must get food product approved by the FSSAI.
- Must ensure proper labelling of the packed food product that is identified by FSSAI.
- It’s imperative for the FBOs to provide the exact content and information on the packaged food product for the consumers. FBO must follow the complete details of the FSSAI labelling rules and regulations.
Failure or disobeying of any rule or regulations will result in heavy penalties
• Any FBO selling the food product which is not in compliance with the provision of the Food Safety Act like manufactures, stores, imports, or sell food product containing extraneous matter is liable to a penalty of five lakh rupees.
• Any Food Business Operator or Importer fails to fulfil with the perquisites of the rules and regulations laid by FSSAI, he or she is accountable to a penalty of up to two lakhs rupees.
For al FBOs, it’s mandatory to get the required registration/license from the statutory authority. Not all persons can comprehend the statutory requirements and might get confusedwhile fulfilling the requirements in a suitable manner. The rules and regulations of the authorities are bit strict and hence it is compulsory for all the FBOs to complete the requirements as per the rules laid under the Food Safety and Standard Act. To make sure mandatory information is fulfilled and completed during the application process, it is advisable to get the assistance of a professional or food consultant.
There are many consultant companies presenting their services to support the Food Business Operators in the process of applying for a food license or registration. These consultants have in-depth knowledge of the rules, regulations and complianceslaid down by the FSSAI. They can help FBO’s in preparing documents, drafting and submitting applicationand will help safeguard against any penalties. They make the entire process hassle-free for FBO and will charge a reasonable price for the services.
Are you planning to register for FSSAI License, searching for a reliable partner for advisory services, want to know more about FSSAI? Please feel free to contact us. We are India Leading online legal and tax advisory firm.