FSSAI, Rules, Registration process, Violation, Guidelines, Act coverage, Penalty, Appeal
The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 is the final law for the regulation of the food products preparation and implementation of the food safety standards in the country. (FSSAI) The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is the uppermost food regulatory body in India. FSSAI falls under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. Keeping the food safety guidelines is important for the country as it is necessary to ensure safe and healthy food to the consumers.
Table of Contents
- FSSAI, Rules, Registration process, Violation, Guidelines, Act coverage, Penalty, Appeal
- Some of the Key Responsibilities of the FSSAI are:
- Online Registration and License
- FBO Needs to follow the below without any failure
- Failure or Disobeying of Any Rule or Regulations Will Result in Heavy Penalties
--------------Blog Contact Form-------------
Some of the Key Responsibilities of the FSSAI are:
- Lay down science-based standards and rules for the safety of food products.
- To control the storage. manufacturing, distribution, sales, and import of the food products.
- To enable food safety.
- To stop food adulteration.
- To lay procedures and rules for laboratory food testing.
- To encourage awareness about food safety in India.
- To provide scientific guidance and technical assistance to the state and central government in the matter of framing rules and policies that are associated with food safety and nutrition.
The current time is when consumers are much aware of the quality of the food, before purchasing food products, consumers make sure that they are buying food free from adulteration, and contamination, and are prepared to keep the hygienic standards in focus. Consumers have become alert to food safety and choose to eat and purchase food that is FSSAI licensed and approved. These circumstances make every Food Business Operator register with FSSAI and get the required license to commence business and get consumers' trust.
The Food Business Operators (FBOs) must register with FSSAI in accordance with the registration guidelines laid. Food Licenses/Registration is the mandatory step for starting a business related to any segment of food product. Be it packaging, processing, storage, manufacturing, distribution, transportation, etc..
Online Registration and License
As per FSSAI's new procedure, any FBO can apply online to get a registration certificate or License. The procedure of sending applications by post or personally visiting the center to get a license has been replaced by an online automated process. FSSAI offers a collaborative online platform for the Food Business Operators where the FBO can apply and get the License/Registration online. The procedure is, to sign up by providing contact details, and apply for the registration and license by filling in the mandatory information. If the Food Business Operator (FBO)satisfies all the required rules and details, they are provided with the registration certificate or License by the authority. After issuing the registration certificate or License, registering authority also carries out a food safety inspection of the registered establishment at least once in a year to ensure that the FBO is fulfilling all the FSSAI rules and regulations.
Food Business Operator can also apply for the modification, renewal of license, and also request the authority for a duplicate one. The validity of the FSSAI License is for a period of one to five years and needs to be renewed before its expiration date. FBO can track the application status online.
FBO Needs to follow the below without any failure
- Must maintain the general food safety standards
- Must get food products approved by the FSSAI.
- Must ensure proper labeling of the packed food product that is identified by FSSAI.
- It’s imperative for the FBOs to provide the exact content and information on the packaged food product for the consumers. FBO must follow the complete details of the FSSAI labeling rules and regulations.
Failure or Disobeying of Any Rule or Regulations Will Result in Heavy Penalties
- Any FBO selling the food product which is not in compliance with the provision of the Food Safety Act like manufacturers, stores, imports, or selling food product containing extraneous matter is liable to a penalty of five lakh rupees.
- Any Food Business Operator or Importer who fails to fulfill the perquisites of the rules and regulations laid by FSSAI, or is accountable for a penalty of up to two lakhs rupees.
For all FBOs, it’s mandatory to get the required registration/license from the statutory authority. Not all persons can comprehend the statutory requirements and might get confused while fulfilling the requirements in a suitable manner. The rules and regulations of the authorities are bit strict and hence it is compulsory for all the FBOs to complete the requirements as per the rules laid under the Food Safety and Standard Act. To make sure mandatory information is fulfilled and completed during the application process, it is advisable to get the assistance of a professional or food consultant.
There are many consultant companies presenting their services to support the Food Business Operators in the process of applying for a food license or registration. These consultants have in-depth knowledge of the rules, regulations, and compliances laid down by the FSSAI. They can help FBOs in preparing documents, drafting, and submitting applications,s and will help safeguard against any penalties. They make the entire process hassle-free for FBO and will charge a reasonable price for the services.
Are you planning to register for FSSAI License, searching for a reliable partner for advisory services, or want to know more about FSSAI? Please feel free to contact us. We are India's Leading online legal and tax advisory firm.
This portion of the site is for informational purposes only. The content is not legal advice. The statements and opinions are the expression of author, not corpseed, and have not been evaluated by corpseed for accuracy, completeness, or changes in the law.
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.