Knowing About Smart Speakers
A smart speaker is an electronic gadget that has garnered popularity and is produced by multiple manufacturers in India. Smart speakers entail versatile nature and are very much in vogue. They are employed for performing multiple functions, like controlling the wireless-enabled lights to supplying information with respect to many things like weather forecasts.
Table of Contents
BIS Registration: Smart Speakers
Smart Speaker is one of the specified products that fall under the mandatory BIS registration scheme. It is to be registered under the Indian Standard as IS 616:2017. Without procuring registration under BIS, the smart speaker cannot be sold off within the confinements of the Indian market. Besides this, it can also not be eligible for being exported or imported.
Read Our Blog: BIS Registration Process
Therefore, the manufacturer of the smart speaker must make sure that it gets registered under the compulsory registration scheme of the BIS. Therefore, registration is deemed compulsory such that the product garners reliability in the eyes of the consumer and they can have an assurance that the product is a quality product.
Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
A notification was released by the Ministry of Electronics and information technology, dated 1st October 2020. By virtue of such a notification, certain product categories were specified to be added in the schedule as given under the “Electronics and Information Technology Goods (Requirements for compulsory registration) order, 2012”
Out of the seven product categories, one of them is with respect to the smart speakers, having the Indian Standard number as IS 616:2017.
The product namely the “smart speaker” is one such product that has been added in conformity to the power floating from clause 10 (1) (p) as provisioned under the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 1986.
Apart from what has been mentioned above, different categories of products were added, including that of smart speakers, which was in pursuance of clause (fa) of rule 13, as provisioned under the Bureau of Indian Standards Rules, 1987.
The order came into effect on 1st April, 2021. However, the date on which the order was sought to be implemented was set at 1st October 2021.
What Are the Product Guidelines Governing Smart Speakers?
Given below are certain series guidelines for video cameras as notified under CRO Phase-V.
Read Our Blog: Everything You Need to Know About CRO Phase-V
- With respect to display
- In the first place, the display needs to be exactly the same (whether it is a touch or non-touch category).
- Secondly, with respect to the input voltage, it must be ensured that it remains the same.
- With respect to the class of construction also, it must be ensured that it needs to be exactly the same.
- The PCB design layout must also be the same.
- The point to be kept in mind is that the enclosure material must be the same with the exception of the differences of decorative parts.
- Also, the IP rating needs to be the same.
- Without Display
- Firstly, the input voltage needs to be exactly the same.
- Also, the class of construction must remain the same.
- Pertaining to the PCB design layout, it must be ensured that it remains the same.
- The enclosure material needs to be the same having an exception in case of differences of decorative parts.
- Also, the IP rating has to be the same.
- In case of the power transformer, the design needs to be the same, together with the insulation system.
- If applicable, the rating of the battery has to be the same, especially in the case of the registered batteries.
- If applicable, there has to be the same output rating pertaining to the registered adapter, which must be equivalent to the input of smart speakers.
In a nutshell, it can be concluded that as notified by the above-mentioned notification, the smart speaker is one of the product categories out of the seven specified ones.
The smart speaker has to strictly abide by the specific product guidelines which are deemed crucial in every way.
This portion of the site is for informational purposes only. The content is not legal advice. The statements and opinions are the expression of author, not corpseed, and have not been evaluated by corpseed for accuracy, completeness, or changes in the law.
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.