ISI for Helmets: Registration and Latest Notification Regarding Helmets
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.
ISI simple means Indian standards institute which has been setup to lay standards to maintain the integrity and know about the genuine nature of industrial item. It is a certified mark that ensures that the industrial and consumer good is of good quality and is safe to use. It is a well know and recognized certification mark that verifies the quality of an industrial good in Indian.
The ISI for Helmets is crucial for the certification of goods for the purpose of sale in India and is mandatory. To be able to qualify for ISI Certification the BIS criteria must be duly met by the requisite manufacturing company.
History of ISI Mark
ISI came into existence on January 6, 1947. As of now (Bureau of Indian Standards) BIS is authorized to provide certification under a 1986 legislation. The first ISI director was Dr Lal C. Verman.
ISI Mark: Functions
- To develop commodity, material, and process standards.
- To assist in the manufacture of high-quality products.
- The aim of certification is to ensure that industrial products are safe to use.
- At either the national and international levels, to establish general standards.
- To disseminate standardization-related information
- To safeguard customers by assuring them of product quality and efficiency.
Products that require ISI marks
- LPG Cylinders
- Electrical equipment
- Packaged drinking water
- Kitchen equipments
- Packaged Grocery items etc.
- Steel products
- Steel wire and sheets
- Electrical motors
Fake ISI Mark
Market is flooded with numerous fake ISI marked items. The products claim to glorify the ISI mark without actually being certified. Therefore, a customer must be careful enough while making a selection of the product. Other features of fake ISI labels include the absence of the mandatory seven-digit license number on the ISI mark. An IS number appears at the top of the ISI mark, indicating the number of the Indian standard for the commodity.
ISI Mark Certification: Benefits
Numerous benefits follow the ISI mark certification which are enlisted as follows:
- It contributes to the customer's satisfaction.
- If a consumer is unhappy with the quality of a product, the company selling a product will switch to a new one.
- The label ensures that each customer receives the highest possible product of quality.
- If a consumer suspects that a product with an ISI is of low quality, the customer may take legal action against the product's manufacturer.
- It aids the product's owners in expanding the horizons of their business.
Read Our Blog: ISI Registration Process in India
ISI Mark: Registration Process
The requisite process required to be followed is given below:
- Choosing the product code
- To begin, one must choose a product quality that meets the Indian Standard Institute's requirements.
- Determine the product's ISI standard code.
- Filing the application form
- Once you've settled on a product code, the next move is to fill out the application form for registration. (Form-V).
- Attach all of the necessary documentation to the application form.
- One must pay the required fees for the certification and examination of the factory premises as well
- Factory Premise inspection
- Following the completion submission of the application, the factory will be visited by an inspection team and individuals authorized by the government.
- The premise of the factory and quality control mechanism will be inspected by an inspection team and an authorized individual.
- The sample product would be inspected in a BIS-approved laboratory for testing.
- Test Report Collection
- Fetch a copy of the sample's lab test report.
- Thereafter submission of lab report to BIS.
ISI Mark Registration: Required Documents
Certain documents are required to be submitted together with the application from which are as follows:
- The company's registration certificate
- Property Tax receipt
- Insurance policy
- Electricity and telephone bill
- Bank Statement
- Voter ID card
- Rent agreement in case the property is rented
- Test reports copy
- Manufacturing machinery list
- Directors of the company; Aadhar card
ISI Mark: Registration Certificate
BIS would issue the registration certificate after due verification of the lab report and application form.
ISI Registration: Time required
Usually, it takes a period of thirty days from the date of application submission to receive an ISI registration certificate.
False ISI Mark: Penalty
If it is discovered that the manufacture of any goods or items infringes on the registered label, the producer may be fined Rs. 50,000 and could be imprisoned for up to one year.
ISI Mark for helmet
As per the notification from the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH), it has been mandated that all helmets must bear the ISI mark from June 1, 2021. Since the government first declared mandatory compliance to BIS standards in 2018, the issue of helmet standardization has remained a source of contention among regulatory bodies, manufacturers, and bike riders. The government also tried to limit the maximum permitted weight of a helmet to 1,200gm as component of this notification. This was a bad move because it effectively banned almost all imported full-face helmets from being sold in India, even though the manufacturers were able to test them to fulfil BIS requirements. As a consequence, there was huge cry amongst the bike riders which government had taken heed of.
Read Our Blog: BIS Certification for Imports
Now the present notification being released makes it mandatory for all helmets to bear the ISI mark. However up until now there is notice regarding whether 1200 gm law would come into play or not. It shall be notified by the government accordingly.
ISI mark certified goods help customers in identifying quality products from that of less quality products. It give a sense of satisfaction to the consumer that the product is safe to use.