FSSAI License for Hotels | FSSAI License For Restaurant
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.
FSSAI Guidelines for Hotels and Restaurants
Food safety and standard authority of India (FSSAI) has published a detailed FSSAI guidelines for hotels/hospitality industry and hence getting an FSSAI license is compulsory for all FBO’s falling under this category.According to a report by Technopark and the NRAI, the food services market in India is projected to grow from Rs 247,680 crore in 2013 to Rs 408,040 crore by 2018. This will create huge number of opportunities for new entrances in the industry.
FSSAI Food Licensing and Registration System Guidelines for Catering and Hotel industry
Following are some of the essential FSSAI food licensing and registration system guidelines that every Hotel / Catering FBO must ensure while operating restaurant or food business.
Mandatory documentation and Records Required as per FSSAI Guidelines
FSSAI Guidelines for Restaurants also describes that appropriate documentation of the food production should be done and records should be maintained on continuity.
- Complete test report from NABL accredited/ FSSAI notified labs regarding microbiological contaminants in food items must be available all the time.
- Daily record of food products production, the raw material utilized and sales must be maintained.
- A periodic audit must be done on the whole operating practices in production and services.
- Relevant records of food quality, food processing/ preparation, laboratory test results, pest control etc. for a period of 1 year or the shelf life of the product; whichever is more.
- Sale and purchase record of food product sold to registered/ licensed sellers and raw material purchased from registered/ licensed vendors.
Best Manufacturing Practices for restaurant/hotel Premise
As per FSSAI guidelines all restaurants have proper food preparation areas, toilets, and changing facilities.
Food Preparation Areas- Cooking and frying mustcarried out under chimney having an appropriate suction capacity.
Hygienic hand washing facilities and toilets- Every Restaurant must have an adequate number of hand wash basin fitted with taps running hot and cold water.
Changing facilities- Proper facilities should be provided to the staff to change their clothes wherever required.
FSSAI Guidelines For Personal Hygiene Standards In Hotels & Restaurants
As per FSSAI guidelines, personal hygiene should also be maintained among the staff members and workers
- Food production workers must be properly dressed to avoid any unhygienic activity with food material.
- Food production staffs must use disinfection and hand washing facilities whenever they enter or re-enter food processing areas,
- FSSAI guidelines put restriction to unhygienic practices such as eating, smoking, spitting, etc., within the food processing unit.
FSSAI Guidelines For Proper Food Hygiene Practices in Hotels & Restaurants
Cleaning- Working area of premises must be properly cleaned, also equipment/ utensils should be properly cleaned.
Availability of Clean Water Supply- There should be a suitable supply of potable water. The water must be examined chemically and bacteriologically by an NABL accredited laboratory. Ice and steam wherever in use should be prepared from same portable water.
Preparation of Fruits/ Vegetables
- Uncooked, ready-to-eat fruits & vegetables must be treated with 50 ppm chlorinated water before peeling in.
- The equipment used for peeling/ cutting etc. of fruits & vegetables must be clean and safe to use.
Preparation of Non-Veg. Product
- Raw meat and material containing raw meat must be kept separate from other food items.
- The material surface must be cleaned properly with anti-bacterial agents.
Cooking of food items
- The preparation/ processing/ cooking must be satisfactory to eliminate and reduce hazards.
- Cooking oil should be used once for frying.
Avoidance of Cross-contamination
- Staff must be trained enough to avoid cross-contamination of raw food / meat /poultry etc.
FSSAI Guidelines For Storage in Hotels & Restaurants
FSSAI Guidelines also describes that the storage of the raw materials, prepared food product must be stored accurately. Below points need to ensure while storing material in premises.
- Storage facility should be impervious to moisture, clean, free from pest infestation and well maintained.
- Any material which might cause harm to food product must store properly and away from food product.
- Raw material and finished products must be stored and maintained at an appropriate temperature as per product requirements.
- First-In-First-out procedure must implement to avoid any spoiling of material loses.
- Returned, rejected or doubtful products must be kept away from raw material and food product.
FSSAI Guidelines For Transportation and Handling of Food
- Chilled/ frozen food products must be transported with appropriatelytemperatures.
- Vehicles must be clean from inside, free from any pest infestation and other contamination.
- Separate food vehicle should be used for transporting raw and finished products within or outside the premises.
FSSAI Guidelines for handling High-Risk Foods
There are few high risk-food items for which special attention should be taken while storing as well as preparing.
dispensing machine must be clean and free from any contaminants.
Confectionary products must be appropriately refrigerated with labels signifying the date of expiry.
Clean and disinfected chopping boards mustalways be used.
Permitted food additives must be used as per appropriate proportion.
Sauces and chutneys should be stored in glass/ food grade plastic container with a proper lid.