Passport is an official document that defines your nationality, it is issued by the government to certify individual citizenship and identity. It enables passport holders to travel to other countries.
Table of Contents
- Introduction: Passport
- Importance of Passport
- Reasons to apply for re-issue of passport
- Procedure to apply for re-issue passport
- List of Applicable documents required for re-issue of passport
- Applying re-issue of passport under Tatkaal scheme
- How can I check the status of re-issue passport online?
- Fees of Re-issue of Passport
In case your passport has been lost so the applicant has to apply for the re-issue of the passport. The procedure for this is the same as a fresh passport application, In this case, duplicate passports are not issued. However, a new passport with a different passport number will be issued with fresh validity. For the application of re-issue, the applicant has to apply under the–issue’ category with a detailed reason as Lost/Damaged passport.
Importance of Passport
- It’s an official government-issued ID
Passport is a document that allows individuals to travel overseas. It’s not only a legal ID proof, but also recognized across the globe. Also, it’s an ID that certify individual nationality and citizenship.
Other ID such as driving licenses, PAN card, Aadhar cards are not the valid ID for foreign countries. A passport is the only document that is mandatory and valid.
- It’s the Ticket to travel abroad
Passport gives you the freedom to travel to abroad and have experience of the world.
Some countries have a visa-on-arrival facility, which means individuals only require a valid passport on the basis of that they can travel to that country. Such as Dubai, Sri Lanka, and Maldives have visas on arrival for Indian Passport holders.
- Proof of your citizenship
Passport prove your citizenship legally, it proves that you have the right to be in your home country (or temporary access in another country).
- Study Abroad
When students apply for the study abroad application, without a passport application will not start. Furthermore, applicants cannot able to sit in the IELTS or TOEFL exam. It is the only mandatory document for the abroad study exam.
Reasons to apply for re-issue of passport
Before starting with the application procedure, the applicant needs to state the reason for the re-issue of the passport. Such as, lost/ stolen, damage, renewal etc. are the available reason on the portal.
Procedure to apply for re-issue passport
- Firstly applicants have to visit the website www.passportindia.gov.in and open this link and visit the homepage of the website.
- Applicants need to Login to passport Seva online portal
- Secondly, applicant need to register yourself at the website with the help of your mobile number and email address, without registering at the portal applicant cannot able to start their application procedure of re-issue their passport.
- Those who have registered can login by using their ID and password after this applicant can start their procedure of re-issue passport.
- After login, you will see the services in the left hand comer. Choose from list of services “Apply for fresh/ Re-issue of passport” after choose to apply online by clicking on the blue hyperlink under Alternative 1.
- In the next page, check the appropriate boxes, select accordingly from the given options and then click on the next button.
- Now, you will find the application form, fill in all the details carefully and go to the next page until you find page for uploading documents. It is to be noted that fill your name, parents name and spouse name as same as in all the documents.
- After filling all the details then submit required documents.
- After submitting all the documents you will reach on this page and then you have option to choose SMS services (optional), if you want to be updates regarding your passport and you will be notified through SMS. SMS service will cost you extra 50 rupees.
- After this, you have to schedule the appointment for the document verification and choose the earliest available date.
- Then, select the option and pay fee, you can pay through debit card, credit card and UPI.
- After completing the successful payment, please print the application receipt.
- This procedure will take around 7 to 10 days from the date of appointment.
- After the document verification has completed, police verification will come at your address they will verify your documents from their end.
List of Applicable documents required for re-issue of passport
There are certain important documents which is mandatory for passport application. Below mentioned are the some important list of documents that individual require to submit at the passport portal.
- Identity Proof of the Applicant: Any legal or recognized valid document which contains full name of the applicant. Make sure that the applicant name and their parents name should be same in all the documents.
- Age Proof: A legal or valid document that confirms applicant’s date of birth. Age proof document can be 10 class mark sheet and birth certificate.
- Address Proof: Any document that confirm applicant’s permanent address, documents such as electricity bill and telephone bill is valid for address proof.
- Aadhar card of the applicant
- Pan card of the applicant
- Affidavit with all the details how your passport was lost or damaged (Annexure ‘F’)
- Original police report (FIR)
- Original EC/seizure memo.
Note: In the case of lost passport, it is not mandatory to submit your old passport photocopy.
Applying re-issue of passport under Tatkaal scheme
Passports can now be Applying under the Tatkaal Scheme without providing the Verification Certificate from a Gazetted Officer which was required earlier. The list of Applicable documents under tatkaal scheme is same as mentioned above.
After successful submission of application form, with final status as "Granted", after this applicant can expect your passport to be dispatched on third working day excluding the date of submission of application - without waiting for the Police Verification Report. There is a post police verification under the tatkaal scheme. So, applicant can get their passport before the police verification under tatkaal scheme.
Police verification process of Passport: Once the document submission has been submitted, police office takes a call for document verification at applicant’s home address.
How can I check the status of re-issue passport online?
Applicant can check the status through Passports Seva Kendra website or mobile application.
- Firstly, applicant have to visit the website by using this link www.passportindia.gov.in
- Then, login by using the mobile number and login id password.
- Then select ‘Track Application status’ option.
- After this, fill all the required details which asked in the portal such as file number, date of birth etc. and then you can track your application.
Fees of Re-issue of Passport
|Category||Application fee||Tatkal fee|
|Normal passport fees (36 visa pages) with 10-year validity.||1,500||3,500|
|Normal passport fees (60 visa pages) with 10-year validity.||2,000||4,000|
|Re-issue of passport for minors (36 visa pages)||3,000||5,000|
|Re-issue of passport (36 visa pages) if the existing one is lost, stolen or damaged.||3,000||5,000|
|Re-issue of passport (60 visa pages) if the existing one is lost, stolen or damaged.||3,500||5,500|
This portion of the site is for informational purposes only. The content is not legal advice. The statements and opinions are the expression of author, not corpseed, and have not been evaluated by corpseed for accuracy, completeness, or changes in the law.