Branch Office Registration in India
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
Get help from an experienced legal adviser. Schedule your consultation at a time that works for you and it's absolutely FREE.
What is branch offices?
It is a part of company located other than the main office, where same business activity is conducted. Most of the branch offices are smaller divisions of different aspects of the company such as human resources, marketing and accounting. A branch office will typically have a branch manager who will report to, and answer to a management at the main office.
How a Branch Office works?
Branch offices are useful in that they allow many of the client-considerations to be conducted closest to clients and locality. They can also adjust their business need on location specific terms. They can setup according to the Geo-graphic needs.
How branch office help foreign companies?
A branch office is a suitable for business model for foreign companies looking to establish a temporary presence in India and also government have many FDI attracting schemes where companies can reduce taxation and other business expenditure. It provide extension of the head office business and carries on the same business and activity as that of its parent company. Most of the business use this mode to learn more about the Indian market without having to make a long-term commitment.
Role of FDI to open branches in India?
Foreign investment offers advantages to both the investor and the foreign host country. Both parties are mutually benefited due to FDI. It help business for market diversification, tax incentives, lower labor costs, preferential tariffs and subsidies
Conditions for setting up a branch office –
When opening a company in India through branch office, the new legal entity has to be registered following the regulations prescribed by the Company Act 1956 and Companies Act 2013, and also comply with the provisions of the Foreign Exchange Management Act 1999.RBI will grant permission in a period of maximum 4 weeks.
For Domestic business in India –
Need a board resolution for hiring a place for business. After this need to apply for shop establishment license for new branch. Branch have to manage service Tax, Professional Tax, VAT separately. Have to place name plate, rubber stamp, bill books separately.
Business running outside India
- The applicant company must be a body corporate incorporated outside India.
- The name of the Indian branch office must be the same as the parent company (if the branch office does not have revenue from India operations, its expenses must be met by the head office).
- The net worth of the branch office must not be less than US$ 100,000.In cases where the applicant foreign entity does not meet the financial criteria, the parent company may issue a Letter of Comfort (LoC), given the company satisfies the prescribed criteria for net worth and profit.
- The parent company should have a profit making record in the immediately preceding five financial years in the home country.
What are the Permitted Activities?
- In India Branch office cannot directly carry out manufacturing activities unless such manufacturing activity is carried in a Special economic zone with the purpose of exporting products out of India. Sub-contractor are also included in this type of activity.
- If foreign company engaged in trading and manufacturing activities in its home country in order to setup a branch office in India.
What kind of purpose foreign companies can open branch in India?
- Export/Import of goods
- Professional or consultancy services.
- Carrying out research work, in which the parent company is engaged
- Promoting technical or financial collaborations between Indian companies and parent or overseas group of company.
- Representing the parent company in India and acting as buying/selling agents in India.
- Rendering services in Information Technology and development of software in India.
- Rendering technical support to the products supplied by the parent/group companies.
- Foreign airline/shipping company
- Foreign Banks.
Establishment of Branch Office (BO)/liason Office (LO)/ Project Office (PO) in India by Foreign entities
Application from foreign companies( a body incorporated outside India, including a firm or other association of individuals)for establishing BO/LO/PO in India shall be considered Category – I (RBI)
An applicant from a person resident outside India for opening of BO/LO/PO in India shall require prior approval by the AD Category-I bank to the General Manager, RBI, Central Office cell, Foreign Exchange Department, 6, Sansad Marg, New Delhi-110001 who shall process the application in consultation with the Government of India. Applicant from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Srilanka, Afghanistan, Iran, and China, Hong Kong or Macau and application is for opening a BO/LO/PO in Jammu and Kashmir, North East Region and Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Applicant affiliated to this four sectors namely Defence, Telecom, Private Security and Broad casting also falls under this category.
The applicant is a Non-Government (NGO), Non-profit organization Body/Agency/Department of a foreign government.
Foreign Contribution (Regulation)Act, 2010 (FCRA), they shall obtain a certificate of registration under the said Act and shall not seek permission under FEMA 22(R)
Non – resident entity applying for a BO/LO in India for Branch office
Applicant that is not financially sound and is subsidiary of another company may submit as Letter of Comfort (LOC) (Annex A) from parent group.
Following information is required by the foreign company to deposit the following set of forms –
FNC form duly signed by AR
Information about the parent company along with its certificate of incorporation attested by a Notary Public or the India Embassy in the country of registration.
The incorporation documents of the branch office to be established in India
Proof of registered office
Note on location or proposed activity
The latest audited balance sheet of the applicant entity
Board resolution to open a branch office
KYC of the authorized signatory
Information about the local representatives of the parent company in the branch office.
Procedure after getting the RBI approval
Every branch office registered with RBI shall get itself registered with the Ministry of Corporate Affairs is directly means the registration by the branch office as an establishment of foreign company in India. On such registration a CIN i.e Corporate identify Identify Number is allotted by the Registrar of Companies.
Form FC -1
Charter, Statutes or memorandum and articles of association or other instrument constitution of the company
If the above documents are not English then the translated version of the document
Director details – Individuals
Director details – bodies corporate
Reserve bank of India approval letter
Power of attorney or board resolution in favor of the authorized representative
Companies have to file annually and periodically documents as mention above
Validity – Three years of validity from date of issuing.