National Accreditation Board for Testing & Calibration Laboratories (NABL) is a society providing Recognition (Accreditation) of Technical competency of a testing, calibration, medical laboratory & Proficiency testing provider (PTP) & Reference Material Producer (RMP) for a selected scope of standards.
It is an autonomous body under the Department of Science and Technology having Mutual Recognition Arrangements with APLAC (Asia Pacific Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation) ,MRA (Mutual Recognition Arrangement) ,ILAC (International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation) and is registered under the Societies Act, with the objective to provide Government, Industry and Industry Association in general for third-party assessment of the quality and technical competence of testing and calibration laboratories.
Accreditation is the attestation by third party with the conformity assessment body convincing the formal demonstration of its ability to hold out specific conformity assessment task. Conformity Assessment Body (CAB) does the testing which includes medical/standardisation Laboratory, Proficiency Testing supplier, Certified Reference Material Producer.
The liberalization of trade and industry policies of Government of India has created consciousness among domestic trade and providing greater thrust for export. As a consequence, testing centres and laboratories have to show the capabilities acceptable at an international level of competence.
It is a method by which the body gives recognition, based on third-party assessment and as per international standards of technical competence for specific tests/ measurements.
In the same manner Proficiency testing Provider accreditation gives formal recognition of competence for organizations that provide proficiency testing. Based on the third-party assessment Reference Material Producers Accreditation gives formal recognition of competence following international standards to carry out the production of reference materials.
Scope of NABL Accreditation
NABL Accreditation is currently being given in the following fields and disciplines. Depending upon the scope discipline belongs to the multi-disciplinary. CABs shall have to apply in relevant discipline separately. On the scope of accreditation, refer to the relevant specific criteria:
- Medical Devices
- Clinical Pathology
- Haematology & Immunohematology
- Microbiology & Serology
- Nuclear Medicine (in-vitro tests only
- Proficiency Testing Providers
- Reference Material Producers
Benefits of NABL Accreditation
Formal recognition of the ability of a laboratory by an Associate in accordance with international criteria has many advantages:
- Increased confidence in Testing/ activity Reports issued by the laboratory
- Better management of laboratory operations and feedback as to whether or not they have technically competent and sound Quality Assurance System
- Potential increase in business because of enhanced customer satisfaction and confidence
- Customers will search and identify the laboratories accredited by NABL for their needs from the NABL Web-site or Directory of Authorised Laboratories
- Users of authorised laboratories enjoy more access for their products, in both domestic and international markets
- Savings in terms of time and cash thanks for the reduction or elimination for re-testing of product