As per provisions of Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 and Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981 all new intending projects (Developmental & Industrial) are required to obtain "Consent to Establish"(popularly termed as NOC) from State Pollution Control Board. Depending upon the pollution and hazard potential of industrial activities, the industries are categorized as red, orange, green, white and exempted. There are siting restrictions for these industries. Prospective entrepreneurs should consider these restrictions while selecting land for their proposed industries.
Objectives of WBPCB
Sustainable Development: - Sustainable development is a wide concept that balances the need for economic growth with environmental protection and social equity.
Prevention: - To control the prevention of natural resources.
Waste Management: - Effective Waste Management is a great source to protect the environment.
Consumer awareness: - Pollution can be reduced by awareness such as by convincing general public to use CFL, paper bags, public transport and not to use firecrackers, plastic bags or any other non-biodegradable products.
Compliance: - WBPCB laid down some guidelines for industries and Health care establishment to reduce environment pollution in West Bengal.
Main Functions of the WBPCB
- Provide recommendation to the West Bengal Government on any matter concerning prevention and control of water and air pollution and improvement of the quality of air.
- Organize the consumer awareness programs on the prevention and control of air and water pollution and waste management through mass media.
- Collect, compile and prepare technical and statistical data related to air and water pollution.
- Lay down the standard of sewage and trade effluents and for emission from industrial plant, automobiles and Health Care Establishment.
- To help on the development of new technology for treatment of sewage, trade effluents and control equipment.
- Issuance of consent certificate to industries falling in different categories such as Red, Orange, Green and White.
- Issuance of the Authorization to industries and health care establishments, falling in Bio-Medical waste Authorization, Hazardous waste Management Authorization, Plastic Waste Management, Battery waste Management, and E-waste Authorization.
WBPCB Categories & Classification of Business Activities
The industries in West Bengal has been classified in Red, Orange, and Green category as per the list, indicating the classification of 649 industries as per new guidelines.
The industries categorized under Red, Orange and Green category only need to apply for Consent to Establish (CTE) and Consent to Operate (CTO) under the Air & Water Act. The industries categorized under white category are not required to obtain Consent to establish and operate, it is required only to intimate West Bengal Pollution Control Board within 30 days from Establishment of business with an undertaking.