In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 59 of the Motor Vehicle Act (59 of 1988), the Central Government hereby notifies the following guidelines for setting up, authorization, and operation of AVSF (Authorized Vehicle Scrapping Facility) in the country.
These will be applicable in respect of the following: vehicles that are no longer validly registered under Section 41 of the Motor Vehicle Act 1988, or where the owners are desirous of scrapping their vehicles.
These Guidelines, for the safe and regulated disposal of the aforementioned vehicles, are being notified in the public interest, for the protection of the environment and promotion of legally compliant vehicle dismantling and scrapping industry.
Short Title and Application
These guidelines are called the Guidelines for Setting up, Authorization, and Operation of Authorized Vehicle Scrapping Facility (AVSF). These will apply to all vehicles and their last registered owners, owners, Automobile Collection Centers, Automotive Dismantling, Scrapping and Recycling Facilities, and recyclers of all types of automotive waste products. These Guidelines shall come into force with effect from the date of its notification.
Under the Guidelines:
- Authorized Scrapper: means a person, firm, society, trust or company owning and operating an Authorized Vehicle Scrapping Facility (ASVF)
- Authorized Vehicle Scrapping Facility (ASVF): means any establishment which holds an Authorization for Vehicle Scrapping issued under these guidelines for carrying out dismantling and scrapping operations.
- Certificate of Deposit: means the certificate issued by the ASVF to recognize the transfer of ownership of the vehicle from the registered owner to the Authorized scrapper for further treatment.
- Certificate of Vehicle Scrapping: means the certificate issued by an AVSF to recognize the final disposal of vehicle and is to be preserved by the Authorized Scrapper.
- End of Life-Vehicles (ELV): means all vehicles which are no longer validly registered, or their registrations are cancelled under Chapter IV of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988, or due to an order of court of Law, or self-declared by the legitimate registered owner as a waste vehicle due to any circumstances that may arise from fire, damage, natural disaster, riots or accidents etc.
- Final Disposal: means when the treatment of the vehicles has been completed and the vehicle which is no longer capable of being used and the disposal of its engine in accordance with CPCB Guidelines.
- Licensing Authority: means the Commissioner (Transport) or any other Officer designated by the Government of the State/UT.
- Scrapping Yard: means the designated location within the premises of the AVSF where dismantled vehicle parts are processed for further treatment by way of shredders or any other machinery into scrap parts that are sold to recycling companies.
- Warehouse: means a designated location within the AVSF where processed scrap and usable parts are refurbished, cataloged, stored, and sold for re-use.
The AVSF shall be provided connectivity and access to the VAHAN database of vehicle registration with a password user ID and must have security certifications for the IT systems for safe access to the VAHAN database.
The AVSF shall undertake the verification of the person handing over the vehicle for scrapping to determine the bonafide of the vehicle owner and a copy of same for record for a minimum period of 6 months.