The Semiconductor Integrated Circuits Layout Design Act 2000 gives Intellectual property protection for the semiconductor IC layout designs. The Semiconductor Integrated circuits are a three dimensional configuration of a complex layer of semiconductors, metals, dielectrics (insulators) and other materials on a substrate. The Semiconductor integrated layout registry created with the aim for promotion of Semiconductor Integrated Circuits Layout Designs in the country is the only body in India for the Layout-design circuit registration. It acts as a catalyst for the intellectual property of Semiconductor Integrated Circuits Layout Designs.
Background of the Semiconductor Layout Design
- With the significant foreign investment and the rapid growth of the semiconductor industry in India, the country is now regarded as the world's leading producer of semiconductors. Taiwan, China, and Vietnam are among the top producers of semiconductors.
- According to the Semiconductor Industry Association, semiconductors are used in over 100 billion everyday items worldwide, looming over the global economy due to their higher manufacturing costs. Semiconductors are known as the brains of all electronic devices and are used in everything from internet servers to cell phones. The supply of semiconductors is still insufficient to meet demand. The main cause of this is that it takes almost three months to manufacture a semiconductor, in addition to using enormous factories, dust-free spaces, expensive equipment, etc.
- The Semiconductor layout design registration acts as a catalyst for the development of Semiconductor Integrated Circuits layout designs' intellectual property and raises awareness of the need to protect those designs. It also serves to safeguard the intellectual property of Semiconductor integrated circuits.
Functions of the Registry Board
- For the regulation of drawing/masking and circuit layout, the registry is located at the Department of Electronics and Information Technology's head office at Electronics Niketan, 6, C.G.O. Complex, New Delhi-110003, and it has been fully operational since May 1, 2011.
- The board safeguards the semiconductor Integrated Circuits' original layout-design and any items connected to it.
- It encourages the registration of semiconductor integrated circuit layout designs' intellectual property.
- The Registry reviews the integrated circuits' layout designs and issues Registration Certificates to those that are the original designs for semiconductor integrated circuits.