The State Pollution Control Board- Sikkim (SPCB-Sikkim) has been created under the provision of Sub-Section (1) of Section 4 of the Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974. The main function of SPCB-Sikkim is to act as:
- Regulatory Body
- Advisory Body
Under the advisory function, SPCB-Sikkim advices the state government in terms of measures to be taken for prevention, control and abatement of pollution.
Under the regulatory function, the SPCB- Sikkim is bestowed with the power of implementation of different Acts and Rules pertaining to Environment Pollution Control. The State Pollution Control Board-Sikkim implements the following Acts and Rules in the State of Sikkim.
- Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act,1974
- Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Cess Act,1977
- Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act,1981
- Environment (Protection) Act, 1986
- The Public Liability Insurance Act, 1991.
- Hazardous & Other Wastes (Management & Transboundary Movement) Rules, 2016.
- Bio-Medical Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- E-Waste (Management) Rules, 2016.
- Construction & Demolition Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- The Noise Pollution (Regulation & Control) Rules, 2000.
- Batteries (Management & Handling) Amendment Rules, 2000.
- Environmental Impact Assessment Notification, 2006.
Objectives of SPCB
Sustainable Development: - Sustainable development is a wide concept that balances the need for economic growth with environmental protection and social equity.
Prevention: - To control the prevention of natural resources.
Waste Management: - Effective Waste Management is a great source to protect the environment.
Consumer awareness: - Pollution can be reduced by awareness such as by convincing general public to use CFL, paper bags, public transport and not to use firecrackers, plastic bags or any other non-biodegradable products.
Compliance: - SPCB laid down some guidelines for industries and Health care establishment to reduce environment pollution in Uttar Pradesh.
Main Functions of the SPCB
- Provide recommendation to the Sikkim Government on any matter concerning prevention and control of water and air pollution and improvement of the quality of air.
- Organize the consumer awareness programs on the prevention and control of air and water pollution and waste management through mass media.
- Collect, compile and prepare technical and statistical data related to air and water pollution.
- Lay down the standard of sewage and trade effluents and for emission from industrial plant, automobiles and Health Care Establishment.
- To help on the development of new technology for treatment of sewage, trade effluents and control equipment.
- Issuance of consent certificate to industries falling in different categories such as Red, Orange, Green and White.
- Issuance of the Authorization to industries and health care establishments, falling in Bio-Medical waste Authorization, Hazardous waste Management Authorization, Plastic Waste Management, Battery waste Management, and E-waste Authorization.
SPCB Categories & Classification of Business Activities
The industries in Sikkim has been classified in Red, Orange, and Green category as per the list, indicating the classification of 649 industries as per new guidelines.
The industries categorized under Red, Orange and Green category only need to apply for Consent to Establish (CTE) and Consent to Operate (CTO) under the Air & Water Act. The industries categorized under white category are not required to obtain Consent to establish and operate, it is required only to intimate Sikkim Pollution Control Board within 30 days from Establishment of business with an undertaking.