Rajasthan Pollution Control Board was constituted under section 4 of the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 on 7th February 1975, with the objectives of prevention, control of water pollution and maintaining or restoring of wholesomeness of water. Later, it was also entrusted with the responsibilities of prevention, control and abatement of Air Pollution under the provisions of Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981. Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Cess Act, 1977 has been enacted to make the State Board financially independent. Under this act the State Board has been given powers to collect Cess on the basis of water consumed by the industries etc.
Enactment of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 has further widened the scope of the activities of the Board. This Act being umbrella legislation, different rules for addressing the problems of various sectors have been enacted under this Act. The State Board is engaged in implementation of the rules made under the Environment Protection Act, 1986.
Objectives of RPCB
- Sustainable Development: - Sustainable development is a wide concept that balances the need for economic growth with environmental protection and social equity.
- Prevention: - To control the prevention of natural resources.
- Waste Management: - Effective Waste Management is a great source to protect the environment.
- Consumer awareness: - Pollution can be reduced by awareness such as by convincing general public to use CFL, paper bags, public transport and not to use firecrackers, plastic bags or any other non-biodegradable products.
- Compliance: - RPCB laid down some guidelines for industries and Health care establishment to reduce environment pollution in Rajasthan.
Main Functions of the RPCB
- Provide recommendation to the Rajasthan Government on any matter concerning prevention and control of water and air pollution and improvement of the quality of air.
- Organize the consumer awareness programs on the prevention and control of air and water pollution and waste management through mass media.
- Collect, compile and prepare technical and statistical data related to air and water pollution.
- Lay down the standard of sewage and trade effluents and for emission from industrial plant, automobiles and Health Care Establishment.
- To help on the development of new technology for treatment of sewage, trade effluents and control equipment.
- Issuance of consent certificate to industries falling in different categories such as Red, Orange, Green and White.
- Issuance of the Authorization to industries and health care establishments, falling in Bio-Medical waste Authorization, Hazardous waste Management Authorization, Plastic Waste Management, Battery waste Management, and E-waste Authorization.
RPCB Categories & Classification of Business Activities
The industries in Rajasthan has been classified in Red, Orange, and Green category as per the list, indicating the classification of 649 industries as per new guidelines.
The industries categorized under Red, Orange and Green category only need to apply for Consent to Establish (CTE) and Consent to Operate (CTO) under the Air & Water Act. The industries categorized under white category are not required to obtain Consent to establish and operate, it is required only to intimate Rajasthan Pollution Control Board (MPPCB) within 30 days from Establishment of business with an undertaking.