The Petroleum & Explosives Safety Organization (PESO) is a central-level Nodal agency that was established on September 5, 1898, and is primarily responsible for the administration and regulation of hazardous substances such as bio-chemicals, petroleum, gas cylinders, and explosives that have their own importance but pose a risk to human lives. The PESO organization operates under the policy of guaranteeing "Safety First" in line with the powers granted to it by the regulations set out below:
- Explosive Act 1884;
- Explosives Rules,2008;
- Gas Cylinders Rules, 2002;
- Ammonium Nitrate Rules, 1987;
- Petroleum Act 1934 & Rules, 2002;
- Calcium Carbide Rules, 1987;
- Cinematographic Film Rules 1948;
- Inflammable Substance Act 1952
Apart from this, given below are the primary functions performed by the PESO Organization on the basis of their applicability:-
- To carry out the duties delegated in the Explosives Act of 1884 and the Petroleum Act of 1934, as well as the rules enacted thereunder, in relation to the manufacture, import, export, transportation, possession, sale, and use of hazardous substances, bio-chemicals, bio-fuels, and compressed gases.
- Providing operational and technical support to the Central government, State government, local governments, law enforcement agencies, industry, trade, and end users of these goods.
- Maintain the dedication to openness and efficiency.
- To reach the objectives, it develops an alert, innovative, and well-trained workforce.
- In order to tackle future difficulties, embrace learning and change.
- Ensure public safety by regulating and controlling operations such as the manufacturing, importation, transportation, storage, and handling of hazardous substances, biochemicals, biofuels, and compressed gases, among others.
- Developing public safety standards in partnership with the BIS, OISD, and other apex bodies, as well as coordinating Indian and foreign standards on a national basis.
- Within the scope of the Explosives Act of 1884 and the Petroleum Act of 1934, and the laws enacted thereunder, evaluation of innovative technologies finding uses in hazardous areas for acceptance in indigenous conditions.
- Raising public knowledge of the dangers of dangerous chemicals and explosives.
PESO's aims and duties are being carried out through its headquarters in Nagpur, Maharashtra, as well as offices in Agra, Bhopal, Chennai, Faridabad, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Vadodara, and their subordinate sub-divided offices around the country.
PESO Registration Online
The primary responsibility is to administer the responsibilities delegated under the Explosives Act 1884 and the Petroleum Act 1934, as well as the Rules promulgated thereunder, in relation to the manufacture, import, export, transportation, possession, sale, and use of explosives, petroleum products, and compressed gases. The Petroleum and Explosive Safety Organisation of India registration, or PESO certification, is a necessary clearance scheme for the oil and gas sector or items that deal with gases, are utilized in the oil business, or must survive very corrosive conditions.