Maharshtra Pollution Control Board is a statutory organization entrusted to implement Environmental Laws and rules within the jurisdiction of the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. U.P. Water Pollution Prevention and Control Board, constituted on February 3, 1975, initially under the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 was consequently rechristened as U.P. Pollution Control Board on 13th July, 1982 subsequent to the enactment of the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981. The Board was also entrusted with the powers and functions under the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Cess Act, 1977 along with other responsibilities under the Environmental Protection Act, 1986.
Objectives of MPCB
Sustainable Development: - Sustainable development is a wide concept that balances the need for economic growth with environmental protection and social equity.
Prevention: - To control the prevention of natural resources.
Waste Management: - Effective Waste Management is a great source to protect the environment.
Consumer awareness: - Pollution can be reduced by awareness such as by convincing general public to use CFL, paper bags, public transport and not to use firecrackers, plastic bags or any other non-biodegradable products.
Compliance: - MPCB laid down some guidelines for industries and Health care establishment to reduce environment pollution in Uttar Pradesh.
Main Functions of the MPCB
- Provide recommendations to the Maharashtra Government on any matter concerning prevention and control of water and air pollution and improvement of the quality of air.
- Organize consumer awareness programs on the prevention and control of air and water pollution and waste management through mass media.
- Collect, compile and prepare technical and statistical data related to air and water pollution.
- Lay down the standard of sewage and trade effluents and for emission from industrial plants, automobiles, and Health Care Establishment.
- To help with the development of new technology for the treatment of sewage, trade effluents, and control equipment.
- Issuance of consent certificate to industries falling in different categories such as Red, Orange, Green, and White.
- Issuance of the Authorization to industries and health care establishments, falling in Bio-Medical waste Authorization, Hazardous waste Management Authorization, Plastic Waste Management, Battery waste Management, and E-waste Authorization.
MPCB Categories & Classification of Business Activities
The industries in Maharashtra has been classified in the Red, Orange, and Green category as per the list, indicating the classification of 649 industries as per new guidelines.
The industries categorized under Red, Orange and Green category only need to apply for Consent to Establish (CTE) and Consent to Operate (CTO) under the Air & Water Act. The industries categorized under white category are not required to obtain Consent to establish and operate, it is required only to intimate Uttar Pradesh Pollution Control Board (UPPCB) within 30 days from Establishment of business with an undertaking.