The MPPCB has been vested with considerable authority and responsibility under various environment legislations to prevent the pollution. M.P. Pollution Control Board presently looks after the implementation of following Acts/Rules:-
- Water (Prevention Control of Pollution) Act, 1974
- Public Liability Insurance Act, 1991
- Environment Protection Act, 1986 (certain sections)
- Madhya Pradesh Jaiv Anaashya Apashista (Niyantran) Act & Rule.
- Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1981
The main principle of the M.P. Pollution Control Board is to maintain water, air and soil in healthy and usable condition for various purposes. There are 2 Zonal Offices (Jabalpur, Mandideep), 13 Regional Office, 4 District Office, equipped with trained personnel and sophisticated instruments, are constantly keeping watch on environmental activities in the state to attain the objectives.