In accordance with the provisions of the Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974, the Government of Karnataka established the Karnataka State Pollution Control Board for Prevention and Control of Water Pollution on September 21, 1974. The Water Act would include provisions for the maintenance or restoration of water wholesomeness as well as the prevention and management of water pollution. The aforesaid Board was given the duty of enforcing the Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1981, after its passage. As a result, in 1985 the Board was given the new name Karnataka State Pollution Control Board. An act from 1981 called the Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act was passed to address the prevention, control, and mitigation of air pollution.
The KPCB further aims at implementing the provisions of the following acts
- Batteries (Management and Handling) Amendment Rules, 2010
- Environmental Impact Assessment Notification, 2006.
- Fly Ash Notification, 1999 and 2008
- Hazardous and Other Wastes (Management and Transboundary Movement) Rules, 2016.
- Bio-Medical Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- The Noise Pollution (Regulation & Control) Rules, 2000.
- Construction & Demolition Waste Management Rules, 2016
- Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- E-waste (Management) Rules 2016
- The Public Liability Insurance Act, 1991.