Haryana State Pollution Control Board (HSPCB) Categories & Classification of Business Activities
The industries in Haryana have been classified in the White, Red, Orange, and Green categories as per the list, indicating the classification of 649 industries as per new guidelines.
The industries categorized under the Red, Orange, and Green categories need to apply for Consent to Establish (CTE) and Consent to Operate (CTO) under the Air & Water Act. The industries categorized under the white category are not required to obtain consent to establish and operate, it is required only to intimate Haryana State Pollution Control Board (HSPCB) within 30 days from the Establishment of business with an undertaking.
Functions of the Haryana State Pollution panel
- To set up a comprehensive program for the prevention, control, or abatement of pollution of streams and wells moreover as of air within the State and to secure the execution.
- To advise the state government on any matter regarding the prevention, management, or abatement of pollution.
- To collect and propagate data about pollution and take necessary prevention and control measures.
- To encourage, conduct, and participate in investigations and analysis about issues of pollution and prevention, management or abatement of pollution.
- To collaborate with the Central Board in organizing the coaching of a person engaged or to be engaged in programs about prevention, management, or abatement of pollution and to prepare mass education schemes related to it.
- To inspect waste products, trade effluents, and plants for the treatment of waste products and to review plans, specifications, etc. about treatment plants.
- To lay down and modify Annual effluent standards for the waste product and trade effluents, and for the standard of receiving waters (not being water in an interstate stream) ensuing from the discharge of effluents and to classify waters of the State.
- To evolve economical and reliable ways for the treatment of waste products and trade effluents, considering the peculiar conditions of soils, climate, and water resources of various regions also, particularly the prevailing flow characteristics of water in streams and wells that render it not possible to achieve even the minimum degree of dilution.
- To evolve ways of utilization of waste products and appropriate trade effluents in agriculture
- To evolve economical ways for disposal of waste products and trade effluents necessary on account of the predominant conditions of scant stream flows.
- To lay down standards of treatment of waste products and trade effluents to be discharged into any specific stream taking into consideration the minimum temperateness dilution in the market
Objectives of Haryana Pollution Control Board (HSPCB)
- Sustainable Development: - Sustainable development is a wide concept that balances the need for economic growth with environmental protection and social equity.
- Prevention: - Prevention of natural resources.
- Waste Management- Effective Waste Management is a great source to protect the environment.
- Consumer awareness: -Pollution can be reduced by awareness such as by convincing the general public to use CFL, paper bags, public transport, and not use firecrackers.
- Compliance- HSPCB laid down some guidelines for industries and Health care establishments to reduce environmental pollution in Haryana as per the Act 1974, Act 1981, and Act 1986.
Main Functions of HSPCB
- Provide recommendations to the Haryana Government on any matter concerning the prevention and control of water and air pollution.
- Organize consumer awareness programs on the prevention and control of air and water pollution and waste management through mass media.
- Collect, compile and prepare technical and statistical data related to air and water pollution.
- Lay down the standard of sewage and trade effluents and for emissions from industrial plants, automobiles, and healthcare establishment.
- To help with the development of new technology for the treatment of sewage, trade effluents, and control equipment.
- Issuance of consent certificate to industries falling in different categories such as Orange, Green, and White.
- Issuance of the Authorization to industries and health care establishments, falling in Bio-Medical waste Authorization, Hazardous waste Management Authorization, Plastic Waste Management, Battery waste Management, and E-waste Authorization