FPO stands for Fruit Products Order. Food process order or FPO mark is issued by the Ministry of Food processing Industry which also develops the standards for this mark. The mark was named after the law called Fruit Products offer. FPO mark guarantees that the product was manufactured in a hygienic environment and according to the specifications and quality control requirements, thus ensuring that the product is fit for consumption.
FPO mark is a certification mark mandatory on all processed fruit products sold in India such as packaged fruit beverages, fruit-jams, crushes and squashes, pickles, dehydrated fruit products, and fruit extracts, following the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006. FPO certification India is effective since 1955, but became mandatory only in 2006 after Food Safety and Standards Act, promulgated under Section 3 of the Essential Commodities Act – 1955, with an objective to regulate the fruits and vegetable processing sector.
The Ministry has launched many publicity campaigns to educate public as well as fruit processors to understand its necessity and mandate. All food processors are mandated to have an FPO license and carry out their operations abiding by the guidelines in order to be able to continue the business.
FPO Certification is Mandatory for All Food Processing Industries and it includes: -
- Synthetic beverages, Syrups and sherbet
- Vinegar whether brewed or Synthetic
- Pickles, Dehydrated fruits and vegetables
- Squashes, crushes, cordials, barley water
- Jam, jellies and marmalades, Chutneys
- Tomato products, ketchup and sauces
- Preserved, candied and crystallized fruits and peels
- Canned and bottled fruits, juices, pulps and vegetables
- Frozen Fruit and vegetables
- Sweetened aerated water with or without fruit juices and pulp
- Fruit cereal Flakes
FPO certification is a process and one should follow each and every step while applying for FPO registration or certification. FPO certification in India also applies to few more fruit products including Tomato products like tomato ketchup, tomato sauce and other vegetable juices.