Bureau of Indian Standards abbreviated as BIS is the National standard Body of India established beneath the BIS Act, 2016 for the harmonious development of the activities of standardization, marking and quality certification of products and for matters connected thereupon or incidental to it. BIS has been providing traceable and tangible edges to the economy in an exceedingly range of the way – providing safe reliable quality goods; minimizing health hazards to consumers; promoting exports and imports substitute; management over proliferation of types etc. through standardization, certification and testing.
BIS is liable for the standard check of assorted product and services across fourteen completely different sectors. The standard certification of those product safeguard individuals from many health and safety hazards. Within the era of economic process and also the growing importance of making certain conformity with standards in world trade, BIS has vast significance and responsibility. The conformity assessment procedures became more and more vital within the modern-day and therefore, BIS plays a vital role in strengthening Indian trade and exports. The merchandise Certification theme is considered one in every of the largest round the world, BIS Certification is prime to the utilization of the mark on their product.
Responsibilities of BIS
BIS through its central activities of calibration and quality assessment, has been profiting the economy by providing safe and reliable and quality goods; minimizing health hazards to consumers; protective the atmosphere, promoting exports and imports substitute; dominant proliferation of types etc. The standards and certification theme of BIS except benefitting the customers and trade additionally support varied public policies particularly in areas of product safety, shopper protection, food safety, atmosphere protection, building and construction, etc.
BIS carries out varied activities like that of standards formulation, product certification, hallmarking, laboratory services, coaching services, etc. However, the first and most recognized objective of BIS is to formulate and bring down the standards for product for his or her certification. BIS additionally ensures the harmonious development of the activities of standardization, marking and quality certification of products.
Under the BIS, the following certification systems are listed:
Product Certification Scheme
- Applicable for the tangible product; with some products classified beneath required certification.
System Certification Scheme
- Applicable for systems/method
Foreign makers/manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS)
- Applicable for foreign makers United Nations agency square measure engaged within the sale of their product in Republic of India.
- Applicable for articles made of precious metals like gold and silver
ECO Mark scheme
- Applicable for product moving or associated with the atmosphere
Obtaining the BIS registration is actually voluntary in nature. However, BIS needs required certification for product that impact the health and safety of customers. Necessary certification scheme is divided into international intelligence agency (Indian Standards Institute) Mark scheme and required Certification scheme (collectively stated as ‘Standard Mark’). International intelligence agency Mark scheme is applicable for product like cement, electrical appliances, baby food, etc. and required Certification is needed principally for IT/ electronic product. For procurance of the BIS certificate, the manufacturer has got to make sure that the merchandise is in compliance with the ‘Indian Standard’.
Indian commonplace has been outlined beneath the Act because the commonplace set and printed by the BIS, with regards to any article or method that is indicative of the standard and specification of such article or method and additionally includes:
Any commonplace recognized by the BIS and
Any commonplace established and printed, or recognized, by the international intelligence agency and that is in effect directly before the date of firm of BIS.
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has been providing the services for foreign manufacturer Certification Scheme (FMCS) from the year 2000 under BIS Act, 2016 and Rules framed under this act.
- Under FMCS, license is granted to a foreign Manufacturer to be used an Indian Mark on a product that conforms to an Indian Standard.
- The theme is applicable for grant of license for all product except electronics & IT product notified by MeitY
- the license for FMCS is granted by Foreign manufacturer Certification Department (FMCD) located at BIS Headquarters, New Delhi.