The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), the National Standards Body of India for developing Indian Standards was established under the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, of 1986. BIS is responsible for the mellifluous development of the activities of standardization, marking, and quality certification of goods and for matters connected therewith. It has been helping the Indian economy by providing safe, reliable quality goods, minimizing the risk of health hazards to consumers, promoting exports and substituting imports, etc.
BIS has been operating the Management System Operating Scheme since 1991. Initially, it started with only a scheme of Quality Management System Certification (IS/ISO 9001) and over the years, it has expanded its activities to various other management schemes.
As of now, it has the following systems under certification: -
- Quality Management System - (IS / ISO 9001).
- Environmental Management System - (IS / ISO 14001).
- Food Safety Management System - (IS / ISO 22000).
- Energy Management System - (IS / ISO 50001).
- Service Quality Management System - (IS 15700).
- Medical Device Management System - (IS / ISO 13485).
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points - (HACCP) (IS 15000).
- Occupational Health and Safety Management System - IS 18001 & IS/ISO 450001
- Social Accountability at Work Place - (IS / ISO 16001).
- Water Supply Quality Management System (WSMS) as per IS 17482:2020.
- Information Security Management System as per IS/ISO 27001:2013.
- Road Traffic Safety Management System Certification as per IS / ISO 39001.
- Adventure Tourism Safety Management System as per IS / ISO 21101:2014.
- Ready Mixed Concrete Certification Scheme as per ISO:9001 along with IS:4926.
- Integrated Milk Certification Scheme for Packaged Pasteurized Milk as per IS:13688 along with ISO:22000.
- Educational Organizations Management System (EOMS) (IS/ISO 21001 based on IS/ISO 9001).
- IS/ISO 37001:2016 Anti Bribery Management System
- IS 23485 Medical Devices – Quality Management System Requirements and Essential Principles of Safety & Performance for Medical Devices.
- Food Safety Audits (FSSAI Recognized)