The objective of Certification of Biometric Devices (BDCS) is to facilitate availability of quality which is assessed authentication/ enrolment Biometric Devices along with QR Code scanner device used for offline authentication which is for user agencies. This certification scheme provides confidence that certified devices are reliable, safe, and secure and meet the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) requirements. This objective is achieved by ensuring that the devices comply with the UIDAI Aadhaar Specification.
The main aim is to provide confidence to the user of the biometric devices that the certified devices are reliable, safe, and secure and also meet the required documents. The scheme includes fingerprint scanner, iris camera for enrollment and authentication devices.
Standardization Testing and Quality Certification (STQC) Directorate is an attached office of the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY), Government of India which provides quality assurance services in the area of Electronics and IT through a country that has a network of laboratories and centers. These services include Testing, Calibration, IT & e-Governance, Training, and Certification which is for public and private organizations. STQC laboratories are having national / International accreditation and recognitions are also in the area of testing and calibration.
STQC has specialized institutions such as the Indian Institute of Quality Management (IIQM) which is used for the quality related to training programs and the Centre for Reliability (CFR) for reliability-related services, with also testing and calibration.
Devices covered under the scope:
- Authentication Device (L0 and L1)
- Finger Print Scanner
- IRIS Authentication devices (Discrete and Integrated)
- Registered Device Service
- Enrollment Devices
- Finger Print Scanner
- IRIS devices
- Pre-Certified Hardware (PCH)
- QR Code Scanner Devices for Offline Authentication.
UIDAI requires that only the registered devices should be used by all the Authentication Eco-Partners.
“Registered Devices” relates to the devices which are registered with Aadhar system for encryption key management. Aadhar authentication server can individually identify and validate these devices and manage encryption keys on each registered device.
- Devices Identification: Every sensor device has a unique identification, allowing device authentication, traceability, analytics and fraud management.
- Eliminating use of stored biometrics: Every biometric record is processed and encrypted within the secure zone eliminating transmission of unencrypted biometrics from sensor to host machine.